Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > For Sale/Wanted to buy > US Geological Survey Maps of 1949-1956

Joe&Jen

Over 50 maps all of California different quadrants showing mines, inactive mines, dredge tailings. Made by the United States Department of Interior Geological Survey.

Email for discussion.

Email [email protected]

December 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rich68

You do know that anyone can get all the current maps from the BLM office in Sacramento for $5 each. And they also show current and past mines and gravel pits.

What would be the benefit to getting the old maps?
(Since the new ones show current land ownership and off-limit  areas, like Auburn State Recreation Area, which is very important).

--

People are doing either what they THINK is right,
or what they KNOW is wrong.

December 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Sounded questionable especially for a first post. Thanks Rich.

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

December 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

picker

With each new edition of maps offered old info is omitted from the edition. Take a close look at google earth!!! edited photos!!!

Pre 1972 maps have a wealth of knowledge for prospectors!

prospects, mine sites, mill sites,shafts,adits, tailing piles,

hyd diggings, springs, dumps, roads and so on.....

back in the 90's using these old maps we have found 7 small old hyd mines along hwy 20 never metal detected before..... 

I use these old maps along with google earth and mine cache

to locate new hard rock deposits on the same trend as the old mines.

Not sure if this guy is legit but hunt the garage sales for old usfs maps. that old usfs map in your hunting box has good value!!!!!

January 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

" hunt the garage sales for old usfs maps. that old usfs map in your hunting box has good value!!!!!"  Thanks for the great post.

"Pre 1972 maps have a wealth of knowledge for prospectors!"

Yes they do!

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

January 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gold Hunter Bob

I found online maps from the USFS dating back to the 1920's or earlier. The oldest map didn't list roads, because there wasn't any. But found it interesting that they showed farms or ranches that milk, eggs, and other food supplies could be bought. But can't recall the mines or other diggins listed. Don't think they altered the maps. Guess it's time to go back and look again.

--

Hunting down that shiny gold!

January 10, 2014 at 5:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

G.H.Bob,

what's the website for the maps?

thanks, sourdough joe

--

January 10, 2014 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gold Hunter Bob

The USFS web site. Each district has it's own area. I went to the site for my area and found a group of maps I believe on a side index on the page. Kinda of cool, Joe. One of the maps showed the American Camp Station fire watch tower. I knew it was in my area. One of the very few fire towers left standing.

--

January 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gold Hunter Bob

Just took a quick look. Go to forest area interested in, then the index is on the left. Oldest map is dated 1916. Need to zoom in to see details.

--

January 13, 2014 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

"the American Camp Station fire watch tower"  Is going to be History soon as somebody has been cutting the legs with a saw. I took pictures and called the Mi Wok Station about it. Seems they will be "Happy" to see it gone...

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

January 15, 2014 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.