Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Public mining areas

Steve

As a club, I know that many of our members know of public prospecting areas that could be shared with other members. We are facing an unusual year with the closure of most of our claims and we need options. I would like to see a sticky thread started that lists places our members have tried and how to get there. I'm not asking for secret holes, just a place to try and find a little color. Who knows, we might want to do an outing if a spot gets a few favorable reviews.

--

I'm happiest when I hit rock bottom!!

January 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob C

Hi Steve, I'm new here and was wondering why the claims are being closed.

Regards,
Rob

January 5, 2014 at 12:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

KlamHammer,

5 of our claims are inside of the rim fire burn area and the powers that be won't allow us in until nov. 15, 2014!!!!! :mad: 

--

January 5, 2014 at 2:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob C

Yeah, I was just up there this last week and all the roads were closed leading into the burn area. I thought that may have been the reason but just wanted to make sure. 

Rob

January 5, 2014 at 2:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

I forgot to say, Welcome to the club!! Try and make our next meeting because we are voting in the board members and deciding where to go on Jan.18, for an outing. We schedule outings once a month.

--

January 5, 2014 at 2:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob C

Thanks Steve, I'm looking forward to the meeting this next week, and possibly getting out to do some prospecting with everyone.

January 5, 2014 at 3:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LW

For what it is worth I found this interesting...

This is taken directly from the USFS manual of their laws. Due to the misinformation out there as to what we can and can't do, we wanted to clarify what the law states regarding access to claims. Note that you do not need to own a claim to prospect, which in turn grants you access to roads for the purpose of legitimately mining or searching for a new prospect.

Here is a quote from below:

"However, the rules and regulations may NOT be applied so as to prevent lawful mineral activities or to cause undue hardship on bona fide prospectors and miners"

We could go on and on about the definition of "undue" but it is not necessary as walking any distance is an undue burden.

2813.13b - Claims Validated Subsequent to Act of 1955

Such claims which otherwise come under Title 30, United States Code, Section 612 (30 U.S.C. 612) carry the same surface rights as those described in section 2812, except for the following modifications:

1. Right to occupancy and use necessary for prospecting, mining, and processing, but not the exclusive right to the surface. Lands containing such claims are subject to the rights of the United States to manage and dispose of the vegetative resources, to manage other resources except locatable minerals, and to the right of the United States, its permittees and licensees, to use so much of the surface area necessary for such purposes and for access to adjacent lands.

2. Right to cut timber on the claim for mining uses and for necessary clearing, except that timber cut in the process of necessary clearing cannot be sold by the claimant. The United States has the right to dispose of timber and other vegetative resources.

3. Right to additional timber required for mining purposes, if timber was removed from the claim by the Forest Service after claim location. The quantity and kind of timber to be provided, free of charge from the nearest available source which is ready for harvesting, will be substantially equivalent to that previously removed from the claim.

2813.14 - Right of Access to Claim

The right of reasonable access for purposes of prospecting, locating, and mining is provided by statute. Such access must be in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Forest Service. However, the rules and regulations may not be applied so as to prevent lawful mineral activities or to cause undue hardship on bona fide prospectors and miners.

--

Be Blessed and may your pans be full of the color 

January 6, 2014 at 1:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LW

Looks like Vermont has simular restrictions on dredges and suction pumps with permits to even hand pan...

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/dec/waterq/rivers/docs/rv_mineralprospect-appl.pdf:(

--

Be Blessed and may your pans be full of the color 

January 8, 2014 at 2:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gold Hunter Bob

I would like to make the meeting, but I'm sick and don't want to spread this like someone did to me.

Me and my good friend/mining partner are working on a offer to the club, but can't say anything right now until we finish the details. Once we are sure of the details, I will make the next meeting and talk about this at open forum.

--

Hunting down that shiny gold!

January 9, 2014 at 7:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RobynM

Wow November 2014? :(

--

" :)"

January 9, 2014 at 8:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RobynM

How about the GPAA general claim below IBar?

--

" :)"

January 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

-Ramos
Administrator

There is a public area on Italian Bar Road before the LDMA Italian Bar (IBar) property that is nick-named "Stumbletown".  

--

-Ramos
Secretary, East Bay Prospectors

January 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

warning do not dig any where at stumble town near the large pile at the back of the parking lot,,, there were recently some people living down there that were not so friendly to the camp... meaning unless you want to dig in human waste well you get my drift.

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

January 10, 2014 at 1:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Hint to find better Gold...Look across the river at Stumbletown

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

January 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.