Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Mining equipment and products > Suggestions for inexpensive, effective riffle system

joel1316

I have a DIY project in mind, basically a recirculating (power) sluice.  I'm trying not to spend too much money to fly under the wife's radar  : )

The sluice I'm thinking about will be 24 - 30 inches long X 6 - 8 inches wide.  For this sluice I need to be able to buy or build an inexpensive, effective riffle system.  The sluice will be fed water by a 12V pump, I'd like to avoid riffle systems that require a lot of water.  Material going through sluice will be classified down to at least 1/4".

I'm thinking about just using:

V Matting

Expanded Sheet Metal over Miner's Moss (water hog?)

Making my own riffle (not sure how)

Gold Hog Matting or similar (pricey)

Any other suggestions? Which is best?  Thanks you in advance for your suggestions.

--

Joel

April 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

-Ramos
Administrator

I suggest looking into what type of material you will be processing.  Is this for the field? Home cleanup? Classification size?   From that then it may be better to identify what riffle system may work best.

--

-Ramos
Secretary, East Bay Prospectors

April 18, 2014 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Joel,

Also look at some of the re-circ systems that are for sale to get ideas for what you want to put together.  

i bought a used re-circ system a few years back, it has carpet covered by expanded metal, held down by the riffles, and in stream above that is the rubber matting.  

am pretty sure a metal fabricating shop could put together some riffles for you, not sure of cost though.

depending on $$ available, Mike Dunn , at the Gold Pan California in Concord, made a sluice for me, cost about $100.

good luck with your project. sourdough joe

--

April 18, 2014 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

Thank you Ramos and Joe. 

I'm building this sluice mainly for Bear (assuming its ok) when a good hole is too far from fast water.  Possibly even at Electra next month : )

I should be able to build the sluice and "crash box" for about $30?  I have PVC, 12v pump already; just need a good riffle system.  I have deep V matting already; might put that in temporarily to see how it works.... I'm really debating on getting Gold Hog mats too.

Been looking at recirc systems for sale.  The ones I see are using miners moss and expanded metal.  My research goes on, thanks again guys.

--

Joel

April 18, 2014 at 4:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

Joel,

Someone told me once that just miners moss against the smooth bottom of a sluice will allow fine gold to slide along the bottom and escape. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge than me can answer that question.

--

I'm happiest when I hit rock bottom!!

April 18, 2014 at 8:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

I found that at points of contact with the moss and a riffle, there should be enought "squish" to create a stopping point for that fine gold you speak of....

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

April 20, 2014 at 1:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Chance

If your digging in the right place you won't have to worry about the little stuff because you will have to much of the larger stuff to keep you happy.

--

E.B.P Claims Committee Chair

Dig Deep! and Get "R" Done!!

April 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

Not great at finding the big stuff, so I need to hang on to the little stuff too :)

I think I'm going to go with a 6" x 30 sluice.  24" of Gold Hog mats and maybe 4" of deep V mats at the head....  No riffles, easy clean out. 

Now I need to find out which pump to use.  I'm hoping to have the whole thing built for around $125.  Sluice with "crash box", Gold Hog mats and pump.  But I'm going to do more research before I start building. 

--

Joel

April 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Joel, LW and I have a 6x30 with razorbnack full length.  It will grab super fines as well as the chunky stuff. This mat was designed for river flow volumes. Very effecient.

--

April 21, 2014 at 12:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Wyattearp

I love my Calif drop riffle for slow moving water, works fantastic!

--

"nobody ever drowned himself in his own sweat"

April 21, 2014 at 2:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

601, do you use only Razorback or mixed with other patterns?  I'm thinking of trying the Downdraft, supposedly not a water hog.

Wyattear, I've got a CA Sluice, the River Sluice.  Works great!  But I've been using my Angus Mackirk sluice more.

--

Joel

April 22, 2014 at 10:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Joel, we have been using all razorback for a couple of years, but are thinking about mixing other gold hog mats in another sluice LW made. We've been trapping  minus 200s, but looking for more. LOL

--

April 22, 2014 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

Glad to hear that your Razorback is doing well for you.  Doc always pushes that you have the slurry run through various types of gold trapping riffles, but this can cost a lot!!!

--

Joel

April 22, 2014 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RobynM

You can also make a box from wood, waterproofed with spray on truck bed liner. A simple box with header for the water hose, and wood riffles (just square) nailed or glued into the box bottom. You could use 1/2 inch square pieces placed across the box to give you a drop riffle sluice with 1/2 inch deep drop slots. Use thin plywood for the box to keep weight down, just coat everything well to waterproof.

I think I'll make one myself lol! Sounds like a fun project!

--

" :)"

April 22, 2014 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

I tried making a sluice from just about everything now, including wood.  I've got a junk pile of stuff that I've been making, its just as fus as prospecting : )

But I'm hoping this power sluice works; I'm actually doing research before I start cutting and hammering  : )

--

Joel

April 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Two comments about above questions for what it's worth. First, I had a custom width sluice built for minimizing the waste on the gold hog mats. They are not the razorback but the originals. I also overhauled my Keene A52. First, I have found that the GH mats need good flow or velocity if you will. When you have that, they catch the small stuff very well. The A52 overhaul which I posted pictures long ago was to switch up the various surfaces that could trap gold. What I did under the miner's moss was glue down low profile V-groove matting. I have some fairly thick MM and I knew material would pass beneath so my thought was adding the V-groove. 

And yes.... I would much rather not worry about the small stuff and start finding bigger stuff!

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

April 23, 2014 at 12:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

Thanks Dale!  In researching Gold Hog mats, I've also read that they need good water flow.  I've changed up my measurements for the sluice to be only 6" wide to minimize the size of the water pump that I'll need.  My original measurements was going to be 9" wide, but I would need a 5000 GPH pump; too big and I don't want to lug a huge battery all the time.

--

Joel

April 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NickL
I have had very good luck with an old school wooden rocker box for when the river isn't fast enough for the A52.
--
May 27, 2014 at 4:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

The rocker box is my next project : )

--

Joel

May 27, 2014 at 10:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AmusedVermin

Might want to have a look at how they set up the sand boxes in Nome. V-Mat with simple side rails and wedges to lock them in and not so much water flow.

--

God Rocks!

May 28, 2014 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.