Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Mining equipment and products > Suggestions for inexpensive, effective riffle system

joel1316

I've been thinking about just having just v mat, but I don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling... I'll have to try it out and see what the loses are...

--

Joel

May 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NickL
I built a highbanker hopper for my little rocker box. I made a set of "zig zag" riffles for it today, inspiration from Dave McCrackens book Gold mining in the 21st century. Page 88. It claims the old timers swore by it for fine gold recovery, I made the riffle set from a piece of plywood with ribbed carpet and 1" square wooden riffles that extend about 2/3rds of the way across alternating down. The water flows around the riffles instead of over them. Heavies collect on the curves just like a creek. I test ran the set up with previously ran tailings and came up with a nice pile of fine flour gold. It worked fine with a 1200 gph bilge pump. I will try to post a picture. Watching the dirt and gravel work its way back and forth down the box gave me a few ideas of where to poke in the river as well.
June 14, 2014 at 3:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

Nick, On our new site you can post pictures stored on your computer directly into your post. :) 

--

I'm happiest when I hit rock bottom!!

June 14, 2014 at 4:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Greg Arend

Joel, maybe communicate with James,(james48 ). He has a pretty good and inexpensive angle system that looked good to me.

Greg

June 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

My project is going at a snails pace at this point.  Can't make a decision on the riffle system for my mini power sluice.  I've gone from Hog mat, Keene's Miracle mat, home made riffle, just V mat, Miner's Moss under raised expanded metal.....  My head hurts from all the choices, but the research has been fun!

--

Joel

July 22, 2014 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.