Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Bear river--which side?

komodo

Where would one have the best luck-- this side or that side of the river? This side being the side you park on. We've been right at where you hold your outing, found some color too.

Mineral bar the same thing, can never decide on where to go.  Cant wait to meet you all,

Mr and Mrs. komodo

--

taking the right path is'nt always easy, but its always right.  (: Please dont lick my rocks:)

September 22, 2009 at 9:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockbuster
Administrator

The side that the parking lot is on is the inside sweep of the river; the gold is most abundant on the inside sweep (Gold will continue to travel on the outside sweep due to stronger current). That entire gravel bar (Rock bar) is loaded with flood gold. If you don't mind digging a lot deeper I would try the edge all the way in from the water line; where the main flow used to be decades ago. The bed rock is way down, and you most likely would not get there without drawing a lot of attention, but I would bet the bigger gold is there. Just have fun and fill your holes when you are finished. Hope this helps

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

September 23, 2009 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

komodo

Thanks rockbuster. Had a feeling i wasnt going down far enough.  Wife says your miner is going in the kiln today..

--

taking the right path is'nt always easy, but its always right.  (: Please dont lick my rocks:)

September 23, 2009 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockbuster
Administrator

Most of the recoverable gold is down only a couple of feet. It is suspended in a thin clay layer. From what I have been told - bedrock is down deeper that 18 feet or so.. I don't know this for sure, but it is what I have been told. I am sure there are rises and falls as the landscape indicates. If you find that clay layer, just stay with it and you should do well.

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

September 23, 2009 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

komodo

i was digging at the bear river campground and found a big rock or bed rock? about a foot down under the over burden,dug there didnt find much,should i go back and dig some more around that rock

the hubby

--

October 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockbuster
Administrator

I couldn’t say without more information. Where is the rock located in the river, are you digging on the downstream end, how deep did you dig around the rock, are there any cracks or hole in the rock, is the rock located on a turn or straight section of the river, is the rock a rock or part of the base bedrock?

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

October 2, 2009 at 12:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

komodo

didnt get to go far enough to see it. it at the waters edge, kinda at the end of a foot path. went about 2-3 feet down and bearly got around the top of it. all the gravel was key locked around it so it took a while, and we got to late of a start on the day. up river a little bit kinda at an inside curve. not sure if its just a big rock or if its bedrock. felt like it was really big.

thanks rockbuster

--

October 2, 2009 at 2:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

komodo

does anybody what dogbar is like or china flat,what is the gold like.is there pickers or flakes and fines or all of the above,and how was every ones weekend good color i hope

the hubby

--

October 4, 2009 at 10:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.