Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > New site gold

HurtHawk

A couple of days ago I got a call from Rezonate indicating that he and his lovely wife would be coming to my neck of the woods. He wanted to do some prospecting  in this area and he suggested we get together.  I should note at this point that I am in the middle of moving to a new home and doing the move one pick-up load at a time. Naturally, faced with a choice of moving furniture or playing in the dirt....I chose the dirt alternative.

I had noticed a possible prospecting site about 15 minutes from my house and was told by a friend that he had seen people searching for gold in the area. Scott and I decided to give the area a try despite the lack of water in the creek bed. There were pools of standing water left after the last rain and, at least we would have somewhere to pan.

We found some promising bedrock and started cleaning holes and cracks. Scott was thrilled with the results of his first pan...two nice, chunky bits of gold were gleaming at him from the bottom of the pan. My first spot at the edge of the bank yielded only some fly specks of gold so we moved to the center of the creekbed and started breaking bedrock. The results were encouraging. Instead of flakes and fines, we were getting slightly larger pieces of gold that were thick and chunky.

We only hunted for about three hours. Scott had a nice showing of gold in his snuffer bottle and was a happy camper.

I did a clean-up at home and was pleased with the gold from only 4 or 5 half buckets of material. When I re-ran my dirt a nice little picker showed up. (see pics)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You can bet that I will be returning to this spot soon.

Rick

October 28, 2009 at 11:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

komodo

nice gold for so close to home,lucky!!  I couldnt imagine moving if the house in your vids is the one your leaving, what about all your little friends?  My heartaches when i see your yard...I love it

The wife

--

taking the right path is'nt always easy, but its always right.  (: Please dont lick my rocks:)

October 29, 2009 at 2:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

HurtHawk

I am only moving 4/10ths of a mile down the same street so I can leave a trial of breadcrumbs to the new house. Right now the bucks are gathering their harems and roving all over the area so I can just leave them a map to the new digs.

Rick

October 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

komodo

:)awsome:)  I would hate for them to miss you..

The wife

--

taking the right path is'nt always easy, but its always right.  (: Please dont lick my rocks:)

October 30, 2009 at 10:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SCORPIOTOYOU

thats no fare hurthawk. i need to travel 40 mins to get some place ok.. hmmm. what area do you live in?

November 1, 2009 at 4:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rezonate

Well, we got out there again yesterday, and went about 150 feet downstream from where we went the first time. Again, into the bedrock and cracking away. Still the same results, about 1 nice chunky piece per pan, and after a couple of pans, a couple of foray's out with the metal detector getting old broken pick pieces and iron, I chose the lazy mans way out and just started grabbing all of the gravels on top of the bedrock behind some drop offs. That seemed to be the way to go, as I moved less than a bucket of material through my Rotapan and got a nice splash of color plush a chunk I picked up right off of the bedrock. I look forward to getting back out there again Hurthawk. Maybe next week?

--

Scott

East Bay Prospectors

SF Bay Area Chapter GPAA

November 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

HurtHawk

Rezonate at 02:49PM on Nov 12, 2009

Well, we got out there again yesterday, and went about 150 feet downstream from where we went the first time. Again, into the bedrock and cracking away. Still the same results, about 1 nice chunky piece per pan, and after a couple of pans, a couple of foray's out with the metal detector getting old broken pick pieces and iron, I chose the lazy mans way out and just started grabbing all of the gravels on top of the bedrock behind some drop offs. That seemed to be the way to go, as I moved less than a bucket of material through my Rotapan and got a nice splash of color plush a chunk I picked up right off of the bedrock. I look forward to getting back out there again Hurthawk. Maybe next week?

You are always welcome here...plan on spending the night and we can hit the claim I was telling you about. It is raining here again, so, we might have enough water to run a small sluice.

Rick

November 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

HurtHawk

SCORPIOTOYOU at 04:27PM on Nov 01, 2009

thats no fare hurthawk. i need to travel 40 mins to get some place ok.. hmmm. what area do you live in?

Fred,

I live in Groveland...near the entrance to Yosemite.

When we get enough water in the streams around here, I will invite you up for an outing.

Rick

November 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.