Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Club Outings > May 1st Outing - Mineral Bar 8 AM

Goldfever Dave

Ok, it has been decided.  The outing will be at the Mineral Bar.

For information about this location, visit http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospecting_info/calif/Mineral_bar.htm

This is a new location for us.  I'm looking forward to doing something different.

Here's the directions:

Getting to Mineral Bar is not too difficult - it is about 2 miles East of the little town of Colfax, northeast of Sacramento. The map below shows what you need to know to get there. Take the Iowa Hill Road which diverges from the frontage road on the east side of I-80. It intersects the frontage road roughly a quarter mile south of the Chevron gas station. The road down is paved all the way, but it is a little steep in places and there are a couple real sharp turns. The road is not advisable for larger motor homes. Its a popular camp spot and usually nearly or completely full on weekends during the summer. Arriving early on Friday or on Monday are usually best if you want to camp. Even if the camp spots are full there is still plenty of day parking for non-campers. There are limited facilities: pit toilets only and no running water other than what is in the river (and that is not safe to drink). Even so, it has good gold and is less than an hour from the Sacramento area, a perfect place to get away from it all, a quiet spot well worth the time to stop and enjoy a visit to the area. The nearest supermarket in this area, which is also the best source for food and other goods, is located behind McDonald's in Colfax.

April 21, 2010 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Ok! Go get some Gold!

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

April 21, 2010 at 11:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

-Ramos
Administrator

FYI... Looks like day use fee in imposed of $10 per vehicle. http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=26020

--

-Ramos
Secretary, East Bay Prospectors

April 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

-Ramos
Administrator

Also... according to park brochure, some sort of limitation on metal detecting for those who plan on brining theirs.  http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/502/files/AuburnSRAFinalWebLayout020310.pdf

--

-Ramos

April 22, 2010 at 4:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mikepanner

One thing I noticed on Ramos link above about the map is Mineral Bar is the far end of the STATE PARK. So it looks like upstream about halfway to the 90 degree bend to the right and further upstream a person would only have to worry about the rivers Wild And Scenic Regulations and (hopefully) get some freedom from state park rules, for example digging only in the water, etc. There was free day use parking for maybe 25 vehicles, but not anymore from the looks of these links from Ramos. Unless there is still parking on the roadside just before the bridge maybe room for 10 or 15 cars. There is a trail at the roadside parking think it maybe called Pennyweight Trail? Decent underwater sniping when the temps are over 100, no wetsuit needed. Thank you, Ramos for the links.

--

Mike Gallup

April 23, 2010 at 4:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mikepanner

P.S. The gold on this river can be bigger than gold on the Bear. I even sniped a small nugget there once.

--

Mike Gallup

April 23, 2010 at 4:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gold Hunter Bob

The gravel bar .6 miles upriver at mineral bar is the place I would like to try again. You just have to get past the truck size rocks. I'll be there at mineral bar around 8 AM. Anyone in for a hike?

P.S. the pennyweight trail is also another way down.

--

Hunting down that shiny gold!

April 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

topo tony

can you use a high banker

--

CANABUL

April 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mikepanner

1000 feet Upstream from bridge and continuing 38.3 miles further upstream is Wild and Scenic.  http://www.rivers.gov/wsr-american-north.html

No motorized equipment allowed, but damned if I can find a link on the internet to back up that statement.

From 1000 feet upstream from bridge and continuing downstream is State Park and the rules are pretty strict as far as I am aware.

--

Mike Gallup

April 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mikepanner

I think the Mother Lode Goldhounds in Auburn had an outing at Ponderosa Way bridge, which is about 10 miles downstream from Mineral Bar some years ago, and I could bet they used some highbankers. You might try contacting them to get information on highbanker regulations, because I could not find anything on the internet for you regarding highbankers in state parks.

--

Mike Gallup

April 23, 2010 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gold Hunter Bob

The area is called a "recreation area" even being under state park control. The "hands and pans only" does NOT apply to most of the area. They allowed dredging with permit last year before everything came to a stop.

Question?, the north fork of the American is a uncontroled river. With the snow melt going on, is the river raging? Has anyone checked the flow rate?

Also Mike is right. The book I have lists class "A" only 1000 feet upstream from bridge.

--

Hunting down that shiny gold!

April 24, 2010 at 3:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockbuster
Administrator

"Hello Goldhounds, this is to alert you of a significant and very serious change to our right to prospect for gold in the Auburn State Recreation area. This territory is the North and Middle Forks of the American River going upstream from the confluence, and cover 52 miles of recreational river activities. This covers Ponderosa, Yankee Jims, Mineral Bar and all that territory extending up past Mineral Bar, to the Wild River classification area of the North Fork of the American River. Pennyweight Bar is not in this State Parks jurisdiction.

This just came down Friday and there is much to find out before we can proceed. However, through the State of California, Department of Parks and Recreation Order number 690-006-2010, effective March 29, 2010, has reduced all gold recovery activities to the classification of "Hands and Pans" only. This order is attached. This specific order references Gold panning as Rock hounding and falls under the rules regulating rock hounding.

Mike Lynch, the Manager of the Auburn State Parks Recreation Area, came and informed Dennis Robnett (Pioneer Mining) of this new regulation on Friday April 22nd. This prohibits sluicing and any use of tools of any kind for gold panning. Picks, shovels, trowels, scoops and all such equipment are prohibited. "

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

April 26, 2010 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockbuster
Administrator

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

April 26, 2010 at 4:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mikepanner

more information on the GPAA forum,

http://www.goldprospectors.org/newforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14719

Damitol

--

Mike Gallup

April 26, 2010 at 6:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

-Ramos
Administrator

well that's a real mother trucker...:mad:

so... uh... Bear?

--

-Ramos

April 26, 2010 at 8:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

topo tony

hi I was there today and the water was very high,water was up to the  bed rock. you could see top of rock about 4 or 5 feet above  the river , saw no one mining .its 25  .00 to camp and 10.00 to park, 17 camp site and 15 day parking site. Then I went to the bear river and its high also, its gone up about 2 to 3 feet and paned there the rest of the day.     topo tony

--

CANABUL

April 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PJV

Just more of are constitutional rights taken away for no honest reason. I don't no any more what I can do that I have not all ready done. I wright letters, send money and go to meetings, and it just keeps happening behind closed doors, more of our rights taken away. If we can't use sluices, shovels and picks, I say the rafters can't use oars or kyakers can't use paddles. I know this has a lot to do with the rafters and kyakers. Like I said before I have been to Mineral bar many times in the past and those floaters are always mumbling about how the miners are tearing up the earth and such as they are unloading there gear from the foreign cars.

--

Paul

April 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Just looked up the cited CA code of reg, title 14, section 4611.  Was amused to see this was effective in 1996.  So I'm guessing the Department of Parks and Recreation is a bit behind since this was an update from their 1993 policy.  I hope  lots and lots of gold was recovered with tools from '96 thru this latest policy. Leads me to believe federal or private land and county parks are where we can go and be legit in using tools other than a gold pan. 

April 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Not So Lazy Anymore Prospector

Bear River anyone?  Just read the update about "hands and pans" only at Mineral Bar... that just sucks big time!

--

Sandra Roe

LDMA/GPAA Life Member

April 27, 2010 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

billd

With this new information, are we moving the outing?

Bill

April 27, 2010 at 11:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.