Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > solar vs. gas power for pumping water?

Jere-Miner

would it be worth it to build a decent size solar generator to run an industrial pump for water or not worth the time?  is the cost of gasoline really an equation when it comes to water pressure. ?solar electric powered prospecting equipment?need for wattage and portability ?size of solar unit, over gas pump ?

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

January 14, 2011 at 4:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

-Ramos
Administrator

many things I too have pondered....

I think with current photo-electro technology, the efficiency and sustainability (that is running for hours) limit the amount of volume/pressure really needed for power sluicing and/or dredging.  

Small 12v bilge pumps work for small recirculators, but not sure on the type of current / voltage rating the solar cells would need to be.

I'm sure its being worked on by someone, somewhere... but definitely not me :D

--

-Ramos
Secretary, East Bay Prospectors

January 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fermi

At what rate do you want to pump the water (10 gpm, 100 gpm, etc.)?

How high do you want to pump the water?

------------------

If you want it powered by solar keep in mind that many locations will not be ideal for maximizing the output of your solar panels, most panels are delicate and heavy (there are flexible ones but their efficiency is low and cost is high.

The load demand practical pump you get will far exceed the output of a back-packable solar set-up, so you will need a battery bank.  Your batteries could be charged by the solar cells for a long term prospecting trip (any interesting proposition would be to have a few extra cells that get topped off by your solar set-up while you a draining your other cells to minimize how much they would have to be charged up by other means.

-------------------

What do you want to compare in the equation, # of cells needed to keep a given system running over a period of time vs how much gas would be needed to keep the same system operating over the same period of time?

January 14, 2011 at 11:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

mainly i am talking about the initial investment. for gasoline engine vs solar. Basically for the solar you would need an engine w/ pump and battery cells and a panel, for the and possibly an electric converter? this would reduce the use of gasoline. and keep an everlasting supply of power but the idea i believe far out weighs practicalities.

--

J.Osgood

EBP

January 18, 2011 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JP

Solar panels cost <> 5.00$ + 6.00$ per Watt + controls, Batt. etc

A 1 hp El motor uses about 1000 Watts 

A smaii 2 1/2 Hp motor/pump -under $200--and about 2 1/2 gal/day

The math  says forget it //// Perry 

--

JP

January 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

As I am reading the idea now is $ per kw my thought would be just something simple as to power a small enough rig that it would put out the output of water needed for a single highbanker or piece of equipment.Virtually nothing more than say 1000 gpm that could be ran off 12 volt batteries charged by solar panels. so now the idea is to figure what pieces to put together in this hypothetical situation!

--

J.Osgood

EBP

January 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve Kennedy

.      Hydraulic mathematics has never been my strong point, although I have taken a 600 hour training program in solar technology and installation at JobTrain in Menlo Park so I understand the basics of solar photovoltaics.

However, when I take out my calculator and do political calculus, the results clearly  show that  if we expect to compete in the legislative arena with those who would prevent us from dredging and traveling the back country in four wheel drive vehicles, then we need to cultivate an image of being tree huggers who just happen to like finding gold.  We can still be beer drinking, good ol' boys and occasionally go out in the woods to hurt some squirrels but we need to keep up with the times and drink just enough Chardonnay to keep the Sierra Club off our case.

So if we can replace the noisy, oily, smelly engines on our dredges with solar panels and still get the job done, then we are one step closer to keeping our hobby alive and well in the Sierra foothills.

There is a group of solar enthusiasts forming in the Sunnyvale area, whose focus will probably be solar hot water. Our meeting place is a high tech machine shop and the founder who runs the business has traveled in China and has extensive contacts with Chinese solar manufacturers. Some of the members are business savvy and want to start a consortium to  pursue solar megadeals. Some of them have blue collar backgrounds in plumbing. Ethnically speaking, the group is a motley crew of whites, asians and latinos etc.

In any case, if you're looking for a business opportunity and want to mate rugged, flexible, backpackable, thin film solar panels with a water pump 

or a cascadable series of water pumps to do high banking or to work the gravels in some of those dry side canyons that haven't been dredged to death, then you can get there first with the most by attending our next meeting.

My solar career is with IBEW Local 617 and my political career is tied to my union, so my advice is to develop a durable product, field test it, give it a catchy name and place an ad in one of the prospectors magazines before somebody else does it. Then you'll have a small business that you can run out of your garage and a flexible work schedule that allows for weekend trips to the Bear River or whatever. Take me along on your first late spring gold panning expedition to your secret claim and let my girlfriend put up your web site and we'll call it a deal.

Give this some thought and call me at (650) 274-2709 and I'll pass along the date, time and location of the next solar hot water meeting.

Sincerely,

Steve Kennedy

[email protected]

January 23, 2011 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

"     We can still be beer drinking, good ol' boys and occasionally go out in the woods to hurt some squirrels but we need to keep up with the times and drink just enough Chardonnay to keep the Sierra Club off our case.   "     This is some funny  stuff right here ,,,,,,

on the other hand ...    I Probably wont be going to any meetings on solar topics soon,    harbour frieght sells small panels that charge 12 volt batteries the idea is to run enough batteries to power a pump that can then run a gold recovery system  and be transported  by 1 person w/ or without a wheel barrow or push cart!

--

J.Osgood

EBP

January 23, 2011 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JP

I just took a look at my 2200GPH 12 volt pump---uses max 9 Amps //

lets say 8 on average.

formula =    watts=Amps X Volts

W = 12 x 8 = 96 Watts

Solar panals in Harbor Freight run from $4.70-$6.50 per watt

so a 100 watt panal will cost $500 +  ( its a little under 3' x 4' in size ///)

My little 700 GPH pump (11.6 gpm) runs on about 3.5 amps = 42 Watts

About $300

However // if you can charge 2 hrs for every 1 hr run time you can cut the panal size in 1/2 .

Perry

--

JP

January 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

interesting so lets go a little simpler now take solar out of the equation for a moment lets fous on just a pump scenario....

a: source to turn shaft of pump (electric motor)

if we had a motor that could run with out haveing to charge the battery for say 3 hours  we could have two batteries and run for two three hour periods with  no noise or raising a carbon emmisions

then you would only have use simple solar battey  chargers to charge the batteries

this would take my original idea and simplify it

so all we have is

solar batterie charger / batteries / electric 12v motor, alternator ?/ pump attached to motor ?

so with this set up you wouldnt need large solar panels create the electricity needed ? not sure 

?what you guys think

--

J.Osgood

EBP

January 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JP

I have not tested the 2200 GPH pump for battery life---I did use it to drain a leaking basement and it used up the Bat. but how long ???-I suspect a large Motorcycle Bat-or a small (good) car bat would last 3-4+ hrs-2 would make the Day-- charge them on a 120 volt charger back at Motel or campground and good to go next day/// the little 700 GPH pump would run all day on one I think //  you gotta remember  batteries are heavy --2 sm car bats. probably are heavier than a small 2 HP gas motor/// Just thoughts/// Perry-----ps I do like the NO noise facter however//////

--

JP

January 27, 2011 at 7:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sierra Sam

I run three nice Sears Deep-Cycle 12 volts on one 80 Watt pannel TO POWER LIGHTS, HEATER (THERMOSTAT and FAN), refrigerator electronics and water pump, and radio. They stay charged, I'm happy.

I also run one 15 Watt pannel to two 12 volt car bATTERIES, WHICH i BORROW FROM TIME TO TIME TO POWER MY VACUUM WHEN THE CREEK GOES DRY AND TO POWER THE MACERATOR TO HAUL MY POOP OUT.

I also use them to jump my Polaris if needed.

solar RULES!!!

--

Prepare for the worst - Expect the best

Everything else is duck soup :tongue:

January 27, 2011 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

-Ramos
Administrator

Just got this newsletter:  

JAMECO Newsletter

Maybe helpful as a DIY?

--

-Ramos
Secretary, East Bay Prospectors

February 8, 2011 at 1:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

check this out on ebay

Gold Mining Suction Dredge Electric Portable 3"nozzle

--

J.Osgood

EBP

February 8, 2011 at 11:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

for those of you still interested check out the Brunton solaris 62 panel brunton outdoor group these guys have some really cool gear

--

J.Osgood

EBP

November 16, 2011 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT

heres a few sites and goodies i have found that relate.

Angus has info on a set up they sell.

http://www.angusmackirk.com/product_pages/recirculators.html

folding solar panels. no price but they can be found online.

http://www.oksolar.com/battery_chargers/flexible_solar_chargers.htm

And some realy well rated battiers

http://www.odysseybattery.com/powersports.html

--

DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT

November 20, 2011 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kgphoto

The reality as I see it is that battery power is pretty much limited to 12 with 4 amps or less.  That won't move enough water to power a "real Highbanker".  It may run a spiral wheel or a recirculating finishing system, but not not a real highbanker you can shovel into  and move the dirt required.

Best to get a quiet, Honda engine and make it do the work.

If you realy want to be a tree hugger, find someway to harness the stream power a-la a water wheel to power whatever you want.

You could use solar and battery pumps to fill a water tank and then use the pressure developed from that to power your equipement with enough drop down stream.

All of these "eco" systems with the exception of the water wheel take into consideration that long sessions with lots of volumes, just ain't happening.

November 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT

this hand crank pump plus a wheel would make a eco friendly pump.  you would just have to figure a way to get it all to work together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN9KLd9X6ZE&feature=related

--

DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT

November 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Samsonite

Don't know if you're gonna be working with another person, but you could always use a Gold-n-Sand as a water pump. You'll generate quite a bit of flow and pressure with someone working the GnS. All it would take would be a few adapters and some hose and you could move that water where you want it. It's what I was thinking of doing with mine.

--

November 20, 2011 at 8:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

woodyahh

I am going to go with Bradley M , Crank EZ Rotary vane pump With a water wheel attached. Capacity - 50 gpm at 128 rpm by hand - 75 gpm at 200 rpm with drill.Weight - 4.5 lbs. cost about $ 170.00 

November 20, 2011 at 9:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.