Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Welcome Folks!! > Panner in Sacramento

Allan

I ran across a link to the club here and thought I'd pop in to say hi.  I've been panning since I was a little kid, Grandma taught me.  Just got out last weekend, took her out to the ranch in Oroville to do some panning, but it didn't really satisfy the 'itch' for the shiny stuff.  I found a few flakes and specks, a silver-plated spoon with the plating worn down, and a couple shotgun pellets. :P

I'd love to find someone to prospect with in the Sacramento area.  Struggling to get the bills paid, and can't drive up to Oroville when I want to get my pan wet.  I'm not in perfect shape, but I can handle a day out digging in a creek or moving rocks without hurting myself.

So, if anyone needs a reasonably strong back and would like some company, I'll be around! :)

May 10, 2011 at 4:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rich68

Welcome aboard Allan.

There are quite a few prospector in the club that live in the Sacramento area.

Also, there are lots of gold areas (even open to the public) that are much closer to you than Oroville.

There is the Bear River public access area, that has a campground right next to it, and there is the Foresthill bridge on the American River just a few miles outside of Auburn.

If you can, come to one of the meetings, or even better, one of the outings, and you will be able to meet some new people to do some gold digging with.

Check the calendar for outings and meeting dates.

Rich

May 10, 2011 at 8:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allan

I've heard about a few of these places on another forum, but I've been apprehensive about visiting a site because I don't know the rules involved.  I'll definitely keep an eye on the calendar. :)

May 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

you found the treasure!

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

May 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allan

I did?  lol :)

May 11, 2011 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

allan I would be more than happy to share information with you about any area your interested in... that i know about and if i dont have any info im sure between all the great members of this club we can answer almost any ? about prospecting or locateing a nice place to prospect..    and I would also like to welcome you to our forum and our club !

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

May 11, 2011 at 9:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allan

Thanks for the replies.  :)  I looked online for a few minutes, trying to find out more about the places Rich mentioned. I didn't find much, but I appreciate the pointers.  I heard about a spot in Auburn before, but I haven't researched any further.  Weather wasn't really right for it until recently.  I mostly just don't want to get into hot water about where and what I do.

At the moment, the wife and I are stressing about keeping the lights on, so driving more than a couple miles is out for the time being, the trip to Oroville cost us more in gas than we were prepared for.  Plus, we JUST got her paycheck that was supposed to arrive before the 1st, and that means her timecard for the 15-30th didn't go in 'til today, so it will be late as well. :(  I'm trying to get classes at ARC for the summer and fall, but with as packed as it was last semester, I'm not counting my chickens.

Anyway, all whining aside, thanks for the welcome and I'll try to participate as best I can.  While the wife doesn't like getting her hands dirty, she loves the outdoors and might even tag along if I can find something to do.

May 12, 2011 at 1:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AmusedVermin

The Auburn Rec Area stretches from Auburn to Colfax along the North Fork American and some of the Middle Fork too. Most of it open to the public for panning and sluicing save for a few private spots that you won't reach by normal roads anyways. I've sniffed around down at the Confluence (place where the 2 forks meet just outside Auburn), up at Ponderosa Way Bridge, Yankee Jim's Bridge, and the Iowa Hill Bridge areas. Brought home a little gold from each spot.
I'll be hiking into a spot I might claim if I find it worth the effot this weekend (extremely hard to reach area but I like the fact that very few have visited it over the years and the last active claim was in 1988), but I live in Roseville north of Sac and would be willing to go out with you on another weekend.

We'll have to hook up and go look for some heavy yellow stuff some time. Planning on taking my 10 day vacation end of June, first of July to go play in the hills too.

--

God Rocks!

May 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allan

Nice to meet ya, so to speak. :)  Thanks for the info, I go by Ladon on the GPAA forum, I replied over there too.

May 13, 2011 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.