Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Club Outings > 3rd annual Italian Bar Outing - Agenda

Rockbuster
Administrator

Make your plans soon!

This is a 3 day outing at the famous Italian Bar, on the South Fork of the Stanislaus River. In the heart of the Mother Lode! Italian Bar is an active, patented, 160 acre; working gold claim, with a rich history in gold recovery.

The outing runs July 15th, until July 17th. You may come as early as Noon the 14th, and leave by noon the 18th.

There will be a $15.00 fee (Per camp site/per night) and a $30.00 (Per person/per draw) fee that gets you into the Common operation and in the Gold Draw. If you are camped at a water site there is a $2.00 per day use fee if you choose to use that water.

There is good gold to be found here. The camp has a settling pond for high bankers and trommels (No dredges). The river has many good places for panning and sluicing, there are lots of good areas to crack and crevasse for nuggets, and the camp has excellent terrain for metal detecting!! We will be holding classes for metal detecting, sluice setting, river reading, and panning techniques. We are currently in need of current EBP members to help out with demos and other club functions like storekeeper. The more people we get to volunteer, the shorter the shifts will be and that means more time to relax and have fun. We have a few seasoned junior prospectors and there will be events for them as well, including a panning contest with nice prizes.

When you arrive at the camp:

• You will sign in with EBP and you will be given information about the property (Directed to camping areas), then you will sign into the camp with LDMA.

• You will be given the rules for the camp including; allowable mining procedures, where you can mine, and a short session about the environmental guidelines for the property (You will sign a disclaimer/waiver that indicates that you have read and agree with this material).

• Now you can begin to hunt for gold.

Schedule for I-Bar

Friday:

• Meet at 8 a.m. to give out information.

• Morning Dig: 9-12

• Afternoon Dig: 1-4

Classes:

• 10-12: Panning and sluicing

• 2-4 Metal detecting class

• Metal Detecting Contest: 5 p.m

Saturday:

• Meet at 8 a.m. to give out information

• Morning Dig: 9-12

• Afternoon Dig: 1-4

Classes:

• 10-12: River reading class

• 2-4: Crack and Crevicing

• Pot Luck: 6:00 PM

• Raffle: 7:30 PM

Sunday:

• Auction: 9-11:30- Make sure to bring your donation items

• Gold Split: After Auction

The camp has tables and chairs; there will be a Saturday night pot-luck dinner. The kitchen may be available for food preparation, but we are not counting on it. LP tanks can be filled at the camp. Fire permits will most likely be required and the rules for fires are always strictly enforced.

There is an auction on Sunday, so please bring items you would like to donate for this event! Proceeds from the auction will be used for the chapter and part will go to LDMA for camp maintenance. The Gold draw will be on Sunday. Everyone must work at least one 4 hour shift and pay the entry fee to participate in the gold draw

Tent Camping can be primitive, trailers and motor homes are welcome. Generators are also welcome, but there is a quiet time every night. There are showers and toilets (Bring TP, just in case). Cell phone access is nil. Water Hook-ups: $2 a day if used. Columbia, Jamestown, and Sonora are close by for supplies & motels, if needed. Directions to the camp are further down on this post. Any suggestions or questions can be submitted to the forum

I-Bar Outing check list:

• Camping gear (Tent, camper, trailer, etc…;)

• Flashlight and/or lantern

• Food

• Good coolers and block ice

• Food for pot-luck (Enough for 4-6 people)

• Eating utensils (Plate/tray, flatware, cup)

• Chairs

• Water; the water in camp is good for drinking

• Your Mining equipment

• Hats (Tick season will be in full swing)

• Tick & Bug spray

• T-P just in case

• Fishing Rod; Trout and bass are in the river

• Camera or Camcorder

Most important – A Positive Attitude and the willingness to learn and have fun

Directions to I-Bar

From Manteca CA. take Hwy 108/120 east to Jamestown CA:

From The east bay, take hwy 4 to hwy 49 and go south to Jamestown;

Then Take Hwy 49 toward Columbia from Jamestown or Sonora (Your choice)

Turn Right on Parrots Ferry Rd and drive to Old Town Columbia.

After you pass the main parking area for Columbia, turn right on Yankee Hill R.

Drive down one block and turn left on Italian Bar Rd.

Italian Bar Rd is paved all the way to the top of the South Fork of the Stanislaus canyon.

You will continue, from the top of the canyon down to the river, on the dirt and gravel road. This is not a highway! Please drive safe, as it is narrow in some sections (and rough) and it is down hill all the way.

If you are towing a trailer, it would be wise to use your lower gears to control your speed rather than riding your brakes all the way down.

When you get to the bottom of the canyon you will be driving along side the SF Stanislaus River. Continue on down the road until you arrive at the camp Mile marker 3.5

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

May 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockbuster
Administrator

There are a few surveys up that members should take a look at, including a new sign-up survey. Please click HERE to participate. For those of you that have already indicated you will be going please return to sign in on the new survey. Thank you, and Good AU 2 All

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

May 31, 2011 at 12:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockbuster
Administrator

Additional information added to agenda

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

June 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Don't forget any items for the auction!! It's a great fundraiser for the Chapter!!!

June 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

? How many are going so far? Only 27 on meet-up;

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

June 20, 2011 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockbuster
Administrator

ON the new survey there are 20 responses with a total of 40 participating. On the original survey there were over 140. I think this is going to be a big one folks.

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

June 20, 2011 at 11:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

1armedPete

Pucky;  Here's a stupid ? from a newbie; what's a meet-up. I'm planning on going to I-Bar, and while the info here is great, I'd like current info on what the roads are like. Do you need a truck to get in? Can you tow a trailer in if you drive safely? HOW do you go about obtaing a fire permit? HELP.

--
June 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

permit is here  http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/passespermits/campfire_permit/calcampfirepermit2010.pdf

June 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

up to 32 foot trailers and go slow; I drive my toyota corrolla in all the time

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

June 21, 2011 at 12:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

1armedPete

Thanks Pucky;  Can anyone tell me what a meet-up is, and is the nightly fee the same for trailers?

--
June 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

fees the same;  http://www.meetup.com/Gold-Prospectors/ ; its a place to see what outings are going and when/how so  you can plan;

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

June 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

I will not be makeing this event I will be sampleing some areas on the east side, my buddy is gettin maried on saturday and I cant miss it,although i might show up on sunday on my way back from the eastern sierras. wish i could attend. BTW

I had more than a great time last year and wish i could attend all weekend to help out !

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

June 21, 2011 at 9:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric
Site Owner

June 28, 2011 at 9:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Just a reminder, a fire permit is needed to operate your camp stove for cooking your daily meals.  See above regarding site for getting your fire permit.

June 28, 2011 at 1:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kgphoto

Special Request: If anyone attending the July outing has some black sand concentrates from Alaska, could you bring a cup or two of this to the outing so we can run it through The Gold Lab?    I have heard this is particularly tough stuff to pan and I won't be going to Alaska anytime soon, and I would like to see how The Gold Lab handles it. Thank you.

June 30, 2011 at 3:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockbuster
Administrator

Greetings folks, don't forget to sign up for this outing. We really need to get a clear idea about how many of our members will be attending. Please go Here to sign up

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

July 2, 2011 at 4:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric
Site Owner

We had 2 IBar topics running, this running topic will serve for all communications for the upcoming outing next week, the other topic I locked....

July 5, 2011 at 9:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kgphoto

Weren't you going to reverse the order of the Metal detecting class and contest in order to have more people able to participate in the competetion?

July 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

[email protected]

The caretakers  [email protected]

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

July 5, 2011 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

I'll have a quart or more of Alaska concentrates

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

July 5, 2011 at 10:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.