Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Welcome Folks!! > New member from the North Bay

Mr B

Hi All.  I'm a new member up in the North Bay Area.  Rohnert Park to be exact.  I am fairly new to prospecting but the family and I have been "bit good" by the bug.  Hoping to find some local guys/gals to share and learn with. 

June 7, 2011 at 6:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bryan henningfeld . golden bear

nice bass!! welcome Mr B hope to meet you at the 155 this weekend.

--

Golden Bear

June 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bryan henningfeld . golden bear
hey if ya wanna go up to the Bear sometime my wife and i go quite a bit.we live in fairfield.so it would be easy.
--

Golden Bear

June 7, 2011 at 11:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr B

Thanks Bryan!  Will keep in touch.  I heard about the 155 too late.  Headin' up to to a river in mendo county on Saturday to give it a try.  I know theres not much up here but its worth a try.

June 8, 2011 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"GOLDSTRIKE"

try cold creek it dumps into mondocino lake

--

EUREKA!

June 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr B

Hey GoldStrike, I know that the East Branch of the Russian runs into Mendo at the North End.  Where does Cold Creek run in?  Or is this  a creek that runs into the East Branch above the lake?

June 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr B

Nevermind.  Found out that Cold Creek is just another name for the East Branch of the Russian.

Thanks

June 10, 2011 at 6:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ScottS

Any luck Mr B? I am new to prospecting and I live in Ukiah. 

I would love to get some practice in locally, but if there is very little, to no chance of finding any color I'm not sure how beneficial it would be...

June 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rich68

From USGS bulletin: "There is a small gold- and copper-bearing district in southeastern Mendocino County in the mountains between the Russian River on the west and Clear Lake on the east. Minor amounts of placer gold were recovered from streams on the west slope of the range in the 1880s and 1890s and again in the 1920s and 1930s. Several narrow gold- and copper-bearing quartz veins occur near the summit. The region is underlain by sandstone, shale, and serpentine."

June 22, 2011 at 11:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

sounds like if you spent a lil time on the internet and a lil time on the ground you could locate a nice spot! for example "santa cruz gold forum post"

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

June 23, 2011 at 12:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ScottS

Thanks for that richard! It sounds suspiciously like highway 175 out of Hopland. I'll have to look into that!

Interesting read J. Thanks!

June 23, 2011 at 1:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

4x4 Mike

Could also be in the cow mountian 4x4 area.

June 23, 2011 at 1:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ScottS

Have you done any prospecting up there Mike? This isn't the first time I have regretted selling my blazer for a work van. My little old nissan pickup might do ok...

June 23, 2011 at 2:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr B

Had a great time on Cold Creek w/ the Family.  We did find some color but no significant flakes.  Will have to try some other area up there.

I have been scowering the internet for local stuff up here but theres not much. During my search, I saw that info that Richard68 posted and I was thinking the same as you, either Hopland grade, Cold Creek or even the creeks along Petrified Forrest Road.

June 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr B

Cool map of that area.  Lots of creeks.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/pdfs/ukiah_pdfs.Par.b7b72dfe.File.dat/South_Cow_Mtn.pdf

June 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ScottS

Looks interesting Mr B. 

So I can just take a pan up to Cow Mountain and have at it?

June 23, 2011 at 11:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

4x4 Mike

I think it would be ok to pan at cow mountain. You would needed to try it now because it is awful dry in the summer.

June 24, 2011 at 2:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ScottS

Thanks for the info Mike. I'm going to blow the spider webs out of the old pickup this weekend and see how road worthy it is. 

June 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr B

That Map actually shows "Cold Creek" as the creek that runs down from Blue Lakes and connects to the East Branch of the Russian River just up from Lake Mendo.

June 24, 2011 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ScottS

Oh, I see what you mean. Do you just pull over on 20 somewhere?

June 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.