Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Booming

Mac

Since the govenor gave us the high hard one, I guess it's time to alter the 2" keene into something useful.  Thinking about a booming machine.  If I understand it correctly, what I need is to add or split the existing water line, so I have water I can pump into a dry area and then suck up the result with the nozzle.  I've read that the smaller the diameter of the hose (my 2" as opposed to say a larger hose), the less likely I am to lose suction.  Other than that, I can still use the dredge setup as it sits, with only that alteration. 

So, anyone got ant other ideas of what kind of changes would be beneficial to setup a booming machine?

I am assuming that when booming, I would have to follow the power sluice good practices....meaning a settling pond....any other things anyone can tell me about booming would be appreciated. 

July 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

The New 49ers web site had a great article on booming awhile back

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

July 28, 2011 at 11:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Mac,

you could use the search aspect at the top of this forum for the subject, "booming". JP got a good response from Dave McCracken.

July 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rich68

I've done some booming lately, and we didn't have to make any modifications to the setup. And we have used both the power jet setup and the suction nozzle setup with great success. (Pressure hose at the nozzle vs at the box.)

All we did was put the sluice in a postition that the water runoff could be diverted/regulated to or away from our booming hole.

It is a bit of a game trying to get the water back in the hole without putting the fine sand back also, but we've managed to find the happy medium by setting it about 6 feet away from the hole.

Good luck!

--

People are doing either what they THINK is right,
or what they KNOW is wrong.

July 28, 2011 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bryan henningfeld . golden bear

have you seen what the idiots at dfg want us to pay for ?when and if we can ever dredge again.they want us to pay for everything to implement the program.including scientists to come out to the sites to monitor the operation.and the game wardens to arrest us!!!! the utter insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--

Golden Bear

July 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

where,s the info brian

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

July 28, 2011 at 7:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dirty D

The insanity is this . Protect the fish from a nonexisting threat ( us dredgers) so that the fishermen and the Karuks have something that they do kill.

July 29, 2011 at 2:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dirty D

OH Booming. I use a 3" suction nozzle you can fit a garden hose to the keene pump for your other source. I also use a 1 and 1/4 inch hose that uses a Y fitting between the pump and the pressure hose if I want alot of pressure.

July 29, 2011 at 2:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac

thanks guys, appreciate the input

July 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dirty D

Mac check out Reggie Gould's Sub dredge. You can boom with it also. A five inch suction nozzle that you can run with the same pump as a 2 inch dredge uses. Use the same 1 1/4 hose as I mentioned above. You can fit the complete set up in the trunk of your car. The machine will out do any power sluice dredge combo out there. I suprise myself sometimes and I can't wait re-configure my set-up.

July 29, 2011 at 11:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

Ok guys heres a ?

if there is a creek and it dries up this time of year but there are pools that stay full would booming the dried up creek bed be legal?

would that creek be considered the active water way still ?

--

J.Osgood

EBP

July 30, 2011 at 2:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rich68

I have a claim like that, and my belief (and gamble when booming) is that it is NOT an ACTIVE waterway.

If no water is flowing (or in my case, no water making it to the attached creek below), how can they consider it active?

It would probably just depend on the interpretation of the badge holder. :/

Just because the gutter out in the street moves water when it rains or when my neighbor waters their lawn or washes their car doesn't make it an 'active waterway' :roll:

--

People are doing either what they THINK is right,
or what they KNOW is wrong.

July 30, 2011 at 2:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"GOLDSTRIKE"

AN ACTIVE WATER WAY IS ONE THAT HAS WATER FLOWING AT THE TIME YOU ARE THERE.

POOLS ARE NOT ACTIVE.

AS DEFINED BY THE WDNR AN ACTIVE WATERWAY IS ANY BODY OF WATER YOU CAN FLOAT A TOOTHPICK DOWN OR THROUGH.

IF YOU DIG FAR ENOUGH TO CREATE OR EXPOSE FLOWING WATER YOU HAVE NOW MADE IT AN ACTIVE WATERWAY BECAUSE THIS IS A NATURAL OCCURANCE.

THE WATER FLOWING FROM YOUR EQUIPMENT IS NOT ACTIVE AS IT IS AN ARTIFICIAL FLOW. ACTIVE IS A NATURAL OCCURANCE NOT MAN MADE.

--

EUREKA!

August 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

gracias! senoir Huelga oro.

--

J.Osgood

EBP

August 1, 2011 at 4:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.