Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > New to Cali, where do I go?

GoldCrazy

I'm near you guys, moved some months ago from Oregon. Where would you say is the best place for a novice gold panner to find some yellow? I got a sluice box gold pan etc. I'm look for some place pretty isolated but somewhere I can park a car and not worrry about it, I dont mind a little hike. Thanks.

August 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rich68

Everybody says to go to the Bear river public area, just below the campground, but I've also done pretty good on the American River. Here is a gool list of places to get you started:

http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/cagolopapr.html

--

People are doing either what they THINK is right,
or what they KNOW is wrong.

August 10, 2011 at 6:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GoldCrazy

Thank you for that link Richard. I found some info about the American River but didnt see the Bear river mentioned. Where is that one located? Also do these parks allow camping? And which one would you say is the most isolated?

August 10, 2011 at 6:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rich68

As you go up Hwy 80 from Sacramento towards Reno, the River to the left is the Bear, and the river to the right is the American. They both parallel the freeway, and only minutes away from either side.

I would say the American River (Auburn State Recreation Area) would be the most isolated. Do a google search for  (camping panning American river) and you should be able to find some good info.

--

People are doing either what they THINK is right,
or what they KNOW is wrong.

August 10, 2011 at 7:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

a good way to get some beta would be to make it to the outing comeing up at the bear river

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

August 10, 2011 at 8:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac

A friend of mine and I have been having some luck on Ponderosa Way (?) at the bridge.  No camping, $10 to park and the 3 times we have been there in the last week or so, we've seen a few other folks...girls in bikinis and a few folks jumping off the bridge, but no big crowds.  Might wanna go have a look if you are looking for a day trip only.

August 11, 2011 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GoldCrazy

Thanks for the feedback. Its looking like the Auburn State recreation is what I'll try first. Any one know of any place a little more isolated and off the beaten path though?

August 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

GC,

Cache Rock, on themiddle fork  American, need a 4x4 to get there, and out. It's past Volcanoville. good luck.

/s/ sourdough joe

August 19, 2011 at 12:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GoldCrazy

I tried out Auburn State Rec Area and found some Yella!  My gold sucker worked well. Thanks for the advice.

August 24, 2011 at 7:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GoldCrazy

Thanks Sourdough but I dont have a 4x4. Anyone else know of any isolated spots?

August 26, 2011 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Senator-Blutarski

I have been going to Auburn the last few weeks. 9 out of 10 pans show a little color. Not a lot, but some. A pretty good number of people out on the weekends. Most everyone pretty friendly. Pioneer Supply in Auburn is closing it's doors by the 31st of August. They might have some good deals...

August 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dirty D

OK Gents I need some411 . Have any of you been to the Rough Knight claim ? If the answer is yes , where is the trail leading down into the canyon ? I think I found it but I didn't want to kill my partner on the gamble. I was worried that if we dropped into the canyon at that point we could get into serious trouble. The claims guide directions suck as usual.

August 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

hey dirt, you might be able to kick around that ? at the ldma camp.

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

August 27, 2011 at 1:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockbuster
Administrator

It has been a few years since I was there. The turn-off is a little tricky and not really where the guide says it is (Further from the bridge than indicated), but when you do find it you can drive in a short way through the wooded area and you will see a place to park (There was a large fallen tree at the end of the drive in). The trail head is straight off the end where the road ends. It is a pretty good hike in (1/2 hour hike Down) and a real challenge hiking back up (1-1 1/2 hour hike up). Be extra careful in that area. When I was there last my truck and camper were destroyed. All my equipment was stolen and there was over $10,000.00 in damage done to my truck. I was lucky to get it running and very lucky to just crawl out of there. I'll never go back. Not worth the hike for the small gold, and not worth the risk and personal safety. Good luck 2 U

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

August 27, 2011 at 1:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GoldCrazy

What in the heck?!?! Who would do such a thing Rockbuster? Hippies? Is that true throughout the woods? Maybe Ill get a pitbull to chain to my truck.

August 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac

Ohhhhhh GoldCrazy, don't say hippies, call it like it really is, evil.  I consider myself at least part hippie, and would never do something like that. 

August 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GoldCrazy

Well do they look like hippies? I need to know what to look out for. Is this a real problem in these parts?

August 27, 2011 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockbuster
Administrator

Pot growers and meth labs honeycomd the entire area up there. Just keep your eyes open and don't leave you equipment unattended

--

Joel Brush (Rockbuster)

East Bay Prospectors

August 27, 2011 at 8:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GoldCrazy

I figured as much.Good ol liberal politics. Where exactly is this area so I know to stay clear? 

August 27, 2011 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Samsonite

The road to Rough Knight is a mean mother. Yeah, stay away. We had gone up and visited most of the claims off/near I-Bar road. Great adventure, scary, scary roads!

--

August 27, 2011 at 9:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.