Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Friends of the River displaying falsified information on their website

Jere-Miner

I was researching mercury recovery and ran across this Friends of the River webpage:

http://www.friendsoftheriver.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=9221.0&AddInterest=1029

With information so false about mining regulations thats its unbeilvable!

I sent them the following email to express my opinion:

Dear Sir or Sirs,

I am sorry to inform you that your website contains falsified information. The new suction dredge mining regulations and current regulations for mining never allowed mining in national parks. Historically there has been mining in the upper elevations of Yosemite National Park, mining has been prohibited in Yosemite since it was designated a national park and therefore it is closed to mineral entry of any kind. Recreational prospecting with just a gold pan is prohibited in all national parks, as well as metal detecting, hunting, bait fishing, skinny dipping, hang gliding ect.......To further tell you how absurd your website sounds by including this information as a way to halt suction dredging makes you a liar.  By sending misleading information  to the public makes you and your organization sound untrustworthy.

I love to fish, and I love to prospect. In my opinion they both have the same recreational classification, "recreation". Fisherman litter tons of styrofoam containers, lead weights, and other trash in our rivers and streams everyday, while hunters and gun enthusiasts leave shot gun shells, bullet casings and lead bullets along with their trash in our national forests and recreation areas.  The vast majority of the prospecting community loves our environment and adopts the "pack it in, pack it out" motto.

According to Fact Sheet-06100 obtained form the United States Geological Survey, Mercury Contamination from Historic Gold Mining in California by Charles N. Alpers Ph.D., and Michael P. Hunerlach: "Mercury is recovered today as a by-product from large- and small-scale dredging operations."  Michael P. Hunerlach has been a geologist with the USGS-Water Resources Division since 1992

So to you Sir or Sirs,

I say you are untrustworthy and do not have all your facts straight!

Thank you for your time,

Jeremiah Osgood  

PROSPECTOR AND FISHERMAN

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

August 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kgphoto

Thank you.  Too bad they don't allow public comments on their site.  This is the problem. 

This was posted way back in March and when someone finds it today, they think the info they presenting is facts, when it is clearly wrong. 

The Gold Prospectors of the World need to get on a mission to publicise correct information frequently in all manners of media.

August 25, 2011 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank

western mining alliance is a good site

August 25, 2011 at 8:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

komodo

The number is toll free (888) 464-2477. They are closed right now but I'm calling them and they will fix it.  I hope I'm not the only one who calls. Its free so dont let them continue to kick the crap out of us. 

The wife

The wife

--

taking the right path is'nt always easy, but its always right.  (: Please dont lick my rocks:)

August 25, 2011 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

komodo

I was considering joining your club as I am an outdoor lover and I care deeply about our rivers. I care a lot more about the truth however, and your website lacks it. Suction dredge mining is a very sore subject as of late, but no matter how you feel about it you should not tell lies to people. The information you have on your website is completely wrong and I am asking you to remove it or prove it. I will be calling the bbb to report your untruth to get people to join you club and give you money for a problem that does not exist. It is called fraud. If you want to tell people we need to help to pick up the fishermans trash and the fact that most of the locals who live on private property who use OUR river for their personal dump, I would have been glad to join, How about you take on the aggragates they are the ones doing the damage and nobody says a word about it. Why is that???????

I will be awaitng your response

This is the letter we sent. No public comments but you can email.

--

taking the right path is'nt always easy, but its always right.  (: Please dont lick my rocks:)

August 25, 2011 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

I would love to kayak behind these kooks on their float trips and blast em with water cannins all day!

--

J.Osgood

EBP

August 25, 2011 at 10:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dirty D

They also had fliers all over Mariposa with the same kind of lies about  Merced Irrigation District and some project below Lake McClure.A bunch of radical BS that it would impact the Merced river all the way to Yosemite valley. I tried to e-mail them at that time as well as now. I don't know why but neither message could be sent.

August 26, 2011 at 2:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

hows it goin Dirt

My reply from my primary adress, (windows live student email) would not send either.I have a spam account from www.mail.com and that email was accepted. They must have some kind of filter.

--

J.Osgood

EBP

August 26, 2011 at 2:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

and to top it all off this is a non profit organization, we are paying their salaries, so they can promote false information. 

--

J.Osgood

EBP

August 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

talked with the operator at friends of the river. he says they have no one on staff that handles the mining issues?, "scratching head"

ok then he proceeds to say that the "new regs not excludeing national and state parks would make them ope =n to suction dredgeing under state law."     

hmmmmmmmmsome one else that is trying to justify a blatent lie! either way he said they would look at it. he really didnt care though. 

--

J.Osgood

EBP

August 26, 2011 at 1:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kgphoto

Keep on em.  Later when we sue them, they can't claim they were unawares.

August 26, 2011 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Scott Simpson

Email them all directly. http://www.friendsoftheriver.org/site/PageServer?pagename=FORContact

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

--

Scott Simpson

Club Treasurer

August 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.