Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > east fork san gabriel river

Jere-Miner

dang if i didnt have a good time, and get some nice color for a lil effort.

Thanks to KGphoto,  Pat Keene, and the  san fernando valley chapter of the gpaa. It seemed too good to be true. A gold bearing river so close to Los Angeles that still had good color. these old boys got themselves a good little chunk of eldorado(ville) that is. Yep the old mining town was called eldordoville, and in the hearts of the placer miners still working the gravels hard it hasnt become a ghost yet!

I found out from KG that there was an outing not far from where I am in Los Angeles. Rachel and I decided to go. I found some scraps of wood, carpet, and an old wire shelf , and i made me a drop riffle sluice box. found a half bucket her dad had used for painting and a shovel and we were on our way.

The trip up from the metro los angeles area was painless, took about 45 minutes to reach the mountians from the city. when i got to the area that the directions pointed me I saw a handful of prospectors dotting nooks and crannies of the river canyon below. I hiked down looking for someone that could lead me to KG photo and i ran smack dab into pat keene, he pointed me in the right direction and off rachel and i went.

walking along the cobbles I was mesmerised at the ammount of gravel not only in the riverbed but along the hill side above. I had never seen anyone working bench gravels of this magnitude.  the bench gravels from rivers edge to the top were 15 feet + in some areas. sure not that high compared to rich's bear hug claim still high none the less. As we walked along we started seeing more placer miners and workings pop out of the shaded coves and behind massive cobble tailing works.      then BAM!   KGphoto (the gold lab master)  is working right off the log bridge i was instructed to cross.

we got our introduces over with and started moving rocks and working material. I was  suprised at the way these kats were classifying material, why didnt i think of it! I never met a prospector that didnt find a way to make the task a little easier and boy had these guys hit easy in the face with a louisville slugger. A half barrell with a milk crate, genius, it floats when you pull it to your sluice no lugging buckets. 15 half buckets later, and the back never felt better after a half of a day digging and sluiceing.

I was privy to the boasts and brags of the nuggets and stories of the area and appreciated the information I got  from the locals(regulars they call themselves). Seems that this area is well known and rich in history and gravels. The few that showed me some overly decent nuggets that were pulled out of the river were not too exited to let out the secret of the san gabriel gold. I was happy for the regulars showing me the ropes of bench gravel mining, and the san gabriel river swim holes.

We had been haveing such a great time we didnt want to leave, so we packed up the gear and started heading back to the car. The club was haveing a BBQ pot luck and rachel decided to stay so KG could clean out our concentrats with his gold lab (amazing tool btw). got gold, some good food, and new friends.......

If your gonna be down in the Los Angeles area dont forget to bring your gear boys, theres still gold in them thar hills and some good nuggets await the patient hard working prospector on the  East fork of the San Gabriel River

Dont take my word for it, prove it to yourself youll be happy you did!

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

August 30, 2011 at 12:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doug

J
thanks for the story, I am out at sea and reading your adventure, made me miss home that much more, how I wish I could get a pan wet.  I will be home in a few months, myself and biker Lori will hit Knights Ferry for some panning.  take care.

Doug

August 30, 2011 at 12:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Doug,

Let us know when you get home and are heading to Knights Ferry with Biker Lori. Want to get there when the water's down and the good spots reveal.

safe trip, /s/ sourdough joe

August 30, 2011 at 5:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doug

Joe

I will check back in a month or two, it looks like it wont be till turkey day before I do and prospecting.  i am living thru you all and this webpage.  I read and look at pixs, were not allowed to view videos.  i will let Biker Lori you said Hi.  take care

Doug

August 31, 2011 at 2:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

Howdy Doug, Rachel and I have a couple pics from the outing on the east fork. I will post those as soon we get a chance.  :)   I hear theres gold in sea water!!!

--

J.Osgood

EBP

August 31, 2011 at 1:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doug

J

I will get my fill of it, i will see it for days and days.  what kind of pan do I need????  i usally bring some cons underway, when I need a fix I would set up a tub on deck and pan, repan, repan, you know how it is.  i just cant jump in the truck and head out to the river.  i have shown my share of shipmates on how to pan.  so think it is waste of time, but for me it is real relaxing.  take care

Doug

August 31, 2011 at 11:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kgphoto

Glad you and Rachel had a good time, Major Miner.  I hope her dad is continuing his improvement.

KG

September 1, 2011 at 7:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

yeah he is doin good kg thx for asking, I am heading back up to the central valley to get some gear and then back down this way for a bit. maybe if you get some time give us a call and we can meet up for the weekend.

--

J.Osgood

EBP

September 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kgphoto

Labor Day Weekend will be a ZOO up there.  Tough to find parking and lots of competition for the river and the bank.  They keep changing the water.  I am planning on going up at the crack of dawn on Tuesday.

September 2, 2011 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

wont be up there that early! goin north sometime next week.

good luck to ya its eating me up i wont be out diggin this weekend, find a nugget fo rme!

--

J.Osgood

EBP

September 2, 2011 at 9:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kgphoto

Hey if you are free this weekend, don't wait for me.  Just go and dig!  Prospect around.  Go up above the bridge about 300 yards and see what you find.  I find flood gold in the top layer of dirt.

September 2, 2011 at 11:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

I gotta wait till I go to modesto and get my gear wich wont happen till next week sometime.

I am going to go to the mineral museum and see if I cant find any more about  eldoradoville. I found a book on the lower history level of the 8 storie library in downtown los angeles that gave me some good information.

I plan on heading up to the east fork after we return from modesto. I think ill be up there for a couple days. When I do go ill let you know.

--

J.Osgood

EBP

September 3, 2011 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kgphoto

Looking forward to it.

September 3, 2011 at 9:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tomas

Hay J, So glade to here you had a good time on the East Fork. I live in the area Arcadia, so sorry I missed your visit. I was unable to make the outing, Im sure it was a good turn out. Pat K. brings the meat for the Bar B Q and everyone else brings their side dish for the pot luck. Good time had by all. Next meeting here with the SFVC will be on the 15th of the month. If your every down this way give us a shout.

Tom

September 8, 2011 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

Tomas at September 8, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Hay J, So glade to here you had a good time on the East Fork. I live in the area Arcadia, so sorry I missed your visit. I was unable to make the outing, Im sure it was a good turn out. Pat K. brings the meat for the Bar B Q and everyone else brings their side dish for the pot luck. Good time had by all. Next meeting here with the SFVC will be on the 15th of the month. If your every down this way give us a shout.

Tom

will do I made it back to the central valley for a couple days to take care of unattended business. I will be back down south the 12th or 13th. If we get some time we might stop by and see yall at a meeting down there. yeah the bar-b-q was great . there was also a broccoli salad with grapes that rachel liked a bunch! I will certianly attend another outing with the sfvc If i am in the area. Also a good bit of luck this morning while prepareing to leave Los angeles I found two vials of gold i had thought i lost.

--

J.Osgood

EBP

September 9, 2011 at 1:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Major Miner,

Have looked up the EFSGR in the gpaa claims book, CA-25. The claims guide says, "Open area starts at the East Fork Bridge and extends upstream past Camp Williams to the Narrows." What I'd like to know from you is about where in the open area you got the nice color. The reason i'm asking is that my cousin was up there a couple weeks ago and didn't do so well.  I'd love to take him where he'll find some good color.  Yes, i'd go there considering he's family.

Thanks, sourdough joe

September 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

at the end of the road there is a turn around and huge parking area. back from there is a toilet and dirt parkinhg area. i was in the middle of these two .parking areas. most the beta i have read and heard concerning i s that the large gold is found 2-6 miles in. there is also an old hydrolic area across from fellows camp that the book reads  was producing pop corn nuggets till they were shut down in the later 1890,s? i believe ...so the gold i had found and was seeing being found was out of the bench gravels, and it is good to know that the books read that the miners ole timers would get a good days pay from the bench gravels. also i had talked to a gentleman that had showed me a nugget about the size of your thumb nail and round. came off the bedrock upstream! his wife told me to dig the clay that looked like cafe ole! or i am guessing a murkey brown rust color! I am heading up there some time next week if your cousin would like to join us he is more than happy too. i will send our number to your msg box.....

--

J.Osgood

EBP

September 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.