Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Rotapan test

Rezonate

I'm heading out tomorrow to the Motherlode and by luck my Rotapan arrived today from Australia. I'll let everyone know how it performs after I get back on Friday, I'm hitting a couple of well documented producing creeks, so knowing the Gold is there isn't the issue, it's more about how well it recovers both coarse and fine AU. Fingers crossed and ready to roll.

--

Scott

East Bay Prospectors

SF Bay Area Chapter GPAA

April 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rezonate

So by chance I was able to hook up with Hurthawk and Ken from the GPAA forums and head up 9 Mile road for a day of prospecting on the Stanislaus between the hydro plants and where Rose and Knight creeks empty into the river basin, We spent a good part of the day cracking and sniping, then I lit out with my MXT to trace down the black sand lines on the bank. This was my first test of the Rotapan, and man does that thing chew through the material. Each 3 or 4 buckets of material and I would pull the UFO and find it filled with heavies...but barely any AU, just fine colors, and not many. We were on the North side of the river, the other 2 had wanted to prospect the area, having never hit that side before. After that day I spoke to some of the old timers, and they told me that the only place they had found any decent AU was on the south side...so I'll hit that soon.

The next day we went down to the Woods creek area, and hit a couple of spots. This time, the Rotapan worked flawlessly and recovered some nice pickers and a good amount of fines. The final day was spent doing recon on likely areas between Oak Grove and San Andreas, as well as the canyon outside Tulloch Lake. I already know a few places I'm going to hit on my next weekend trip.

I may be doing a demonstration of the Rotapan at the meeting Wednesday if we have time, but the one thing I can say for sure is this...after 2 days of prospecting, I'm only sore from the digging, no backache or leg aches at all. And I was able to move far more material than with my sluice. Now for the real test, I'm going to head back to Bear River and test it out on the fine flour gold in that area & report back soon. See you all Wednesday,

--

Scott

East Bay Prospectors

SF Bay Area Chapter GPAA

April 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Thank you for the excellent report!! I can't wait to see it in action tonight

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

April 22, 2009 at 1:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rezonate

Hey all, Rick (Hurthawk) from Sonora posted up some videos on Youtube, and the links for them are on the GPAA website in Gold Prospecting. Check them out, he's got a lot of them up there, and they're all from the Motherlode. If you want to contact him, he also sets up private charters on Woods Creek for the Gorehams for a minimal fee.

April 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.