Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > How effective were the old timers?

Calgeologist

I have a place that i have been checking out all winter that is the drainage of a hydraulic mine. There is only one drain for the tailings and i know a sluice spilled into the drain during operation.

My question is how much gold went through there sluices? Im not looking for a actual number, but would you think it would be enough to explore the area?

Part of me thinks that there must have been a good amount that slipped through and ended up in the tailings. This might just be me hoping for something that doesn't exsist

Only problem is that it is extremely difficult to access and its a bid too steep and slick to attempt to check it out during the wet season.

Thanks for the responses

January 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

The old sluices had gold flying out the ends of them; Watch the old film and one can just immagine how much was missed! ? Is this location claimed? Public/private?

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

January 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Calgeologist

Well here is where its tricky.  It is owned by PG&E and i have run into a couple of their workers and they said they didn't care what I was doing.  So i dont think there should be a problem 

January 15, 2012 at 9:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Okeedokie then; I'd keep it quiet and go to check it out with a seasoned Miner; Water there? Pictures??

January 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Calgeo.,

i'd like to check your site on the BLM geocommunicator, and LR2000.  Could you send me a bit more info in a personal message?

Thanks, sourdough joe

--

January 16, 2012 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Calgeologist

I've already checked on both and there are no claims present or past as it is on private land

January 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Calgeo.,

this is a research project. the area in question had a hydraulic mine, thus it must have had a claim on it. that claim would have been recorded, and the claim owner identified. that closed claim may be with BLM, but should likely be with the county. with the owner identified, you should be able to ck records of production and get an idea of the amount sluiced. then you can estimate the losses from the sluice and guesstimate what's still in the drainage.

--

January 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rich68

I own a claim that is directly below a hydraulic mine, and is nothing but the leftovers.

I call it my "Cobble Claim". I have referenced it in previous posts.

I've made 2 trips up to do some booming on it, once with Brian and the other with Star. We have recovered a decent amount of gold for the effort, and we haven't gone more than 3 feet down. I've even got good color by just running buckets of classified material down to the river.

I'd say definitely look into it. I believe that they only had a recovery rate of 60-75% for the processed material. Sometimes they wouldn't even bother processing the material because they were removing overburden.

You are welcome to come with me the next time I go there, which will probably be the next time I go prospecting. Do you still have my phone number? Give me a call.

--

People are doing either what they THINK is right,
or what they KNOW is wrong.

January 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

woodyahh

Owned by PG&E or leased If It is a lease and used for power generation and has not been withdrawn from mineral entry /reclaim you should be able to file a claim as long as it does not interfear with the currant use of the land.  

January 24, 2012 at 4:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.