Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Mapping How-To

Garyww

I’ve noticed some questions about how to do mapping research for prospecting at several sites so I put together this little Adobe pdf article that explains how I do it. I’m sure others can add to this information but it’s a start.

http://64.172.168.34/neatstuff/maps1.pdf

May 6, 2009 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric
Site Owner

Gary that was an AWSOME tool you have put together..I just want to throw in my two cents worth about GPS..I'm also an avid geocacher and have put YEARS into researching GPS units..here's my two cents. The leader in todays market are the Garmin Units. Personally I would stay away from the REALLY new unts, they are still a little "buggy" and need their electronic kinks worked out.

May 7, 2009 at 1:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric
Site Owner

The Garmin Etrex Hcx or the 60 series will get you within 8 feet. Garmin offers free upgrades, tech support, and a HUGE varity of maps you can download into your unit...Any one of these would be a great complement to the set of tools Gary has laid out...any other questions about GPS let me know..thanks

Eric

May 7, 2009 at 1:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Garyww

I am a Garmin fan but after talking to some Delorme owners I might have to switch. You are correct about the 'new' stuff as I noticed that Delorme already has notices that owners need to get both new software and new firmware on units to get rid of 'bugs'.

I was going to buy an eTrex but see on the site that they discontinued it which seems strange to me as it was a very good  unit for the price.

I also updated the mapping article to include links for the BLM Master Title Plats.

You can see what I do when it's raining. Will try to hit Bear Creek again this weekend.

May 7, 2009 at 2:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Some day I am gonna have to get one!! Thanks for the info!!

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

May 7, 2009 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Not So Lazy Anymore Prospector

I have a GPS application in my cell phone which really helps a lot, but the one drawback is when I lose my cell phone signal out in the sticks, it's like being a fish out of water!

May 17, 2009 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Scotty

As for I, I have a Maggelion #### ? GPS. and as long as the place has an accual address, it does well. As an actual GPS, I haven't been able to put coordinates in to take me places, how ever if its a Nf-road, All I need to do is put in for example, Nf-8n50 which is right along the North Fork of the Mokelumne River , some what good. At least I think. But we all know how good that is.

--

Scotty  EastbayChapter GPAA                                                    

May 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.