Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Meet others to prospect/detect > GPAA Claims

JonDavis

Anyone know of any claims in the GPAA Claim Guide, that are actually worth going to? I believe im 0 for 4 in prospecting trips, when searching for claims in the book. Finding the right spots seems to be difficult and then producing the gold is even more difficult. Love this website, by the way!  

March 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

What area are you going to? State? N? S?

March 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JonDavis

I usually prefer a 3 hour drive from my Antioch location...  so basically sonora to oroville im open to explore. I like to take day trips and just go, and need a good claim to aim for. 

March 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Scott Simpson

Hi Jon,

If you havent been, then check out the bear river campground. It's a great place for day trips. If you dont find gold, you didnt get out of your car. It's also a great place to learn how to use your gear...practice panning, learn how to set up your sluice. The gold is flakes, but is fairly consistant, so it's the perfect class room....and best of all, it's free for everyone. 

http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Facility/Parks/~/media/fac/fac%20%20%20parks%20and%20grounds%20division/documents/BEARRIVERupdated22510.ashx

--

Scott Simpson

Club Treasurer

March 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JonDavis

Ya, that place does sounds nice. It would be nice to make it up to the outing, but my wife is due May 4th... so thats going to be a pretty busy time frame... But ill definatly have to go check it out, thanks

March 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

john, I could give you a few pointers if you wanted to set aside a weekend to run

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

March 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JonDavis

That would be cool, as soon as i can get a free weekend, ill take ya up on that! thanks

March 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeremy Watkins

JonDavis at March 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Anyone know of any claims in the GPAA Claim Guide, that are actually worth going to? I believe im 0 for 4 in prospecting trips, when searching for claims in the book. Finding the right spots seems to be difficult and then producing the gold is even more difficult. Love this website, by the way!  

Found gold in Auburn At Nancys gold on mosquito rd

March 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeremy Watkins

JonDavis at March 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM

and access is good

March 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JonDavis

we drove by that one a few weeks ago, seemed like a good spot. I had the family with me though and nobody else was willing to make the hike down. We ended up at a spot way further down and acually found some color there too. Thanks

March 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JonDavis

There were a couple of guys out running a sluice that day, wasnt you was it?

March 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Chance

JonDavis the two GPAA claims in Mariposa are a bust! The one BRJ#9 the highway patrol will not let you stop on the side of the road except for emergency only, that is were the land slide caused them to build two bridges. I also went to the Just for Money claim in Groveland and that claim was not marked and the vegitation was overgrown making it hard to get to the creek. Only found fly POOP!!

--

E.B.P Claims Committee Chair

Dig Deep! and Get "R" Done!!

March 9, 2012 at 11:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JonDavis

cool, ill avoid those, thanks

March 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dirty D

Jon ; for you ,I agree with Scott . Bear River is perfect As far as the Mariposa claims are concerned Bagby is the best one in the claims guide Arina de oro is impossible to find by those directions. I can give you much better directions but  it isn't worth the effort . A lot of work to get to , hard to work , low yield , and  mostly flour with specks on a good day. If you really want to come to Mariposa  there are places on the Merced River that are not bad. But if you start digging a hole any where on the Merced River and expect to return to it the way you left off you will be disapointed. If your lucky the newbies will move boulders for you in your absense.

March 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

This is an informative thread; Nice to see it :)

March 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JonDavis

I agree!

March 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dirty D

If you go to Bagby It will cost you  $6.00 for day use and if I remember right $21.00 / night to camp per vehicle. The fees paid there also apply to the campground at Lake McClure. Huge area with many choices. Ive never been skunked there but never hit  a bonanza either. Flush toilets and hot showers decent fishing with a chance of good gold. My best was a pea sized nugget and plenty of fines from the old dredge tailings up from Shepards point.(stoney gulch)

March 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dirty D

Gary ; You can keep going past BRG #9 beyond the bridges to foresta road first left down stream as far as you can drive to the gate then you can hike down as far as you want to go. I always park at the first pull out past the second bridge and never have been bothered by the law. As far as gold on the Merced , it gets slimmer as you go upstream from the south fork. The club claim is better than both of those I just mentioned. Eureka Placer 155 . If you are going that far from home is better than any of the GPAA claims wthout a doubt.

March 13, 2012 at 2:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Thanks Dirty Dan!! You Da Man!!:D

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

March 13, 2012 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.