Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Big Bar, Calaveras

joel1316

Me and the family were camping and cruising around Hiway 49 this weekend. We came to a bridge crossing a river. The location was called Big Bar. Not sure wat the name of the river is? Looks like it empties into Lake Pardee?

I remember hearing that it is OK to pan within 40 feet from a public bridge? For the heck of it, I thought I would check to see how the gold was here? I had a frisbee as we didn't have a pan (last time that's happening). The frisbee worked! I didn't find anything significant, but after 30 minutes, managed to walk away with a nice flake.....

The river is packed full of Pyrite! I never had to deal with that much Pyrite! Took me a long time to convince myself that my flake was gold... I was able to bend it, so I will make the call that its gold, LOL.

Anyone have any experience panning here before? Is it OK to pan a certain distance from the bridge? Can I use a shovel, sluice and pan here? Might come back in two weeks with equipment if its OK to use my sluice.

--

Joel

September 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gene

Joel, Sounds like the Mokelumne. If you were near the town of Jackson and down stream from the Electra Power plant?? You were on the Mokelumne River. It is okay to pan and sluice from the bridge on Hwy 49 upstream to the power plant.

Gene

September 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

Thanks Gene.  Looks like me and my son will be making a trip back to Big Bar to try a new location (for us). 

--

Joel

September 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.