Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Welcome Folks!! > Hi folks!

pete

Hi everybody. My name is Pete and I live in Castro Valley. I am new to prospecting and have been looking for other folks in the area for help and direction, and I found you guys and gals with a little search online. I have been reading everything I can about protecting and trying to get up to speed.

I really love hiking, camping, and the outdoors and love rocks and minerals, and have always wanted to look for gold. I would enjoy heading out with you guys sometime to do some prospecting, and I would be happy to contribute in any way that I can. I have a truck, and some portable solar panels i built, charger, and inverter that we can use for power out in the woods if needed. Can someone recommended to me the essential gear that I need to get for a beginning prospector?

cheers,

pete

December 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Pete,

this club has a bunch of folks who could provide you with the info you're looking for.

the easiest way for you to get it is come to a meeting, or outing. show and tell works best "hands on"

see you there, sourdough joe

--

December 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT

Welcome aboard Pete. Joe is right. you can read about all kinds of different gear and see it in action on YouTube. But tell you use  it and see it in person, jumping the gun and buying all kinds of stuff is a fun waste of money. Just remember what ever you buy, you might have to carry up and down some trick places.

Many will tell you that the Keene A51 is the way to start. Its rugged ,versatile AND its heavy. I bought one as my first. Now its sits waiting for my kids to get old enough, its theirs. I only use Plastic sluices. they are light, effective and so easy to clean.

If you can, come to the club outing at Bear River Jan 12. You can use for the day what i have and it will give you a idea of whats what. There will be many of us there with many different set ups. Try to make it to the club Meeting as well to meet some of the folks that will be at the river. I'll be there.

--

DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT DELETE THIS PROFILE... ITS SAYS FUCK YOU ALL OVER IT

December 30, 2012 at 11:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

pete

Well the good news is that I haven't bought any gear yet. Being on a budget keeps me from jumping the gun. I will go to the next meeting on thursday so I can meet you folks in person, and thank you Bradley for your offer of using your gear for the day. That is exactly the type of instruction I need. 

pete

December 30, 2012 at 11:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

You will save a bunch of $ buying used, instead of new. When you do figure out what you want/need, check out the "fore sale" sections on the MANY gold/treasure sites. Welcome to Prospecting 2013!

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

December 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rich68

Welcome to the club Pete.

The BARE ESSENTIALS you will need are: a pan, a 'snuffer' bottle, and a digging tool.

Depending on where you go mining, your digging tool could be as simple as a screwdriver, or as much as a shovel, trowel, 6-foot prybar, and or a pick-axe.

I would recommend getting both a plastic scoop (the type used in supermarkets for bulk food bins) and a long handled shovel (rounded tip, not flat).

A 5 gallon bucket always comes in handy, and many people start off with a 1/4 inch classifier as well. Oh, and get some rubber-tipped gloves too.

The club sells the pans, snuffer bottle, plastic scoop, and classifier. The rest can be bought at any hardware store.

I would also recommend buying a backpack. That way you can carry everything to your 'spot' in one trip/load. Carrying stuff in by hand gets heavy, fast. (Try to get one that has several compartments, so that you can keep your wet stuff, dry stuff, goldpans, etc., separated).

I would also recommend getting one that is NOT camouflage in color. I have wandered off many times after putting my pack down, and had to go back looking for it later. Mine is red, and has served me well.

Here is one example on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320907961827

I ALWAYS BRING A COMPLETE CHANGE OF CLOTHES AND EXTRA SHOES. I don't have water-boots or waders, so I am always getting my shoes, socks, and pants wet, and even my shirt. It's great to be able to change into some dry clothes at the end of the day, especially when you fall in. (At some point, it WILL happen to you.) Those rocks in the water are slippery!

Of course, there are a million other things that you can make or buy, but these will get you started. Good luck, and hope to see you at the meeting or outing!

--

People are doing either what they THINK is right,
or what they KNOW is wrong.

January 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

pete

Hey Rich68 thanks for the info, I have a few of those items already! Can I buy a pan this thursday at the meeting?

January 2, 2013 at 1:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Fred Goodwin

Yes you can.

--

:D  Fred & Tina Goodwin

January 2, 2013 at 2:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Pete,

was glad to see you at the meeting. and thanks for picking the ticket for attendance award, i got to say it was funny when you called out my name on both tickets. LOL. i like your sense of humor.

congrats to Lenny Osejo for getting to take the "picker" home.

later, sourdough joe

--

January 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

pete

Well you had the contest rigged, ha ha! 

January 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.