Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Monthly Meeting information > Meeting and Club Suggestions (part 2)

DaleMyer
Administrator

I closed the two year old thread and started "part two". The other one was just too long to go through to get to the new posts. The Feb meeting location is:

Our monthly meetings are on the first Thursday of each month at 7PM. (Second Thursday if the first is a Holiday)

Our new meeting location as of Feb 2013:

First Presbyterian Church - Fireside Room

1965 Colfax Street

Concord, CA

Time: 7PM to 9PM

There is a FREE parking garage on Salvio across the street from the entry gate to the patio outside the room.

Please check the Events,Polls and Surveys tab on the left sidebar menu for the latest info on the meetings and outings!!

***********************************************************************************

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

January 24, 2013 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Dale,

thanks for continuing this post.although the other post was old, it was available, and reviewed.

for those folks attending the mtgs, there is the portion of our mtg called "Open Forum", where anyone can add their thoughts and comments.

for those folks not attending the mtgs, this entire forum gives them the opportunity to raise a subject.

am always looking for help and positive suggestions for the EB Prospectors, and welcome your ideas.

thanks, sourdough joe

--

January 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

I understand there is a problem sending out e-mail blasts from the web site; Something needs to be done about that...

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

January 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Pucky at January 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I understand there is a problem sending out e-mail blasts from the web site; Something needs to be done about that...

Pucky,

Thank you so much for your astute observation. Webs.com is a good place for starters when building a website. But it's like a “paint by the numbers” deal. However, their tech support seems non-existent. Myself and many otherwebs.com users have submitted service requests for problems like the random email blast results and other "features" yet all they say is "we're working on it". It's getting to be a joke especially since they were bought out by another company a while back and the lack of support got worse. The biggest joke to me is something I recently discovered. The forum software will allow duplicate names. We have several Bob’s, Jay’s, John’s etc.  (But, there’s only one Pucky). It’s absolutely f-ing ridiculous that any forum software allows duplicate user names. And, they acknowledge it but have no plans to fix it. We have SIX users named Mike. How does the email blast handle that? I do not know? For admin tools, I cannot search on an email address to find somebody’s lost username. I can only search on a user name to find an email address. What good is that when I get a helpdesk request to find a forgotten username? WORTHLESS!

The bottom line is our little website has served us fairly well from the outside looking in. The past several months there have been staff level discussions to move to a better platform. This is always difficult because if we do it right and cut over to modern software, we lose old posts and potentially valuable information.

Still, I believe we will bite the bullet this year and bringup a new site. If this all gets approved, we will need members to cut-n-paste good info over to the new site. Webs.com makes it impossible to transfer old posts etc. to a new site outside their domain.

Sorry to rant and I am not busting your agates personally. Just saying that the staff is aware of our website’s limitations and HAS BEEN working on a transition plan for several months.

I came from managing a large fishing club website (10,000+members) and know where we need to be with our website capabilities.

Stay tuned as this isn’t something that happens overnight. I may even have a special raffle item to auction off with proceeds going to offset the cost of cutting over to the current gold standard (sorry) forum software.   

Happy you asked? Stay tuned................. we're working on a plan.

--

Dale "Bear" Myer

January 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rich68

Since you mentioned a new 'location' for the website, that reminds me.

I just had to renew the ownership of www.eastbayprospectors.com and www.eastbayprospectors.org again.

I am still willing to transfer it's ownership to the club (for free), since that was the purpose of my 'claiming' it two years ago.

Also, I have an automation program, and programming and database skills (and the time); to where I could FAIRLY easily capture and archive all forum data that we wish to save, when we're ready to make the move to a new forum software system.

Dale, feel free to contact me directly by phone if you wish. I believe you have my number?

--

People are doing either what they THINK is right,
or what they KNOW is wrong.

January 26, 2013 at 1:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Thanks Rich. Nothing will happen overnight but I believe we'll need to jump to a new platform at some point. I was just letting off some overdue steam. Submitting help requests via the webs.com helpdesk forum is a waste of time other than being amazed by all the new excuses their employees come up with while nothing gets fixed.

--

Dale "Bear" Myer

January 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Dale, Richard,

thanks for working on this.

respectfully, sourdough joe

--

January 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.