Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > GPAA Membership Renewal

billd

After being a member of the GPAA for the last 4 years, I'm wondering if I want to renew for another year. With the loss of the Outings this year (I was planning on attending at least one) and my limited prospecting schedule (I don't think that I've used any of the GPAA Claims since joining), and membership WITHOUT the Mining Guide doesn't seem to be an option anymore (I haven't used the 2 I now have except to daydream over), I could used the money for other things. 

Just looking for some thoughts on this...

Thank you

March 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Something to consider is that your Membership dues, Used Claims etc, or not, help us in the fight for our mining rights. The GPAA is a MAJOR Contributor of the PLP, and helps us in other ways too. There is power in numbers, and your Membership dues  helps us all. So, I and the GPAA would like to see you continue your support, if you can aford to continue to do so. Thanks for the 4 years of your support, Thank you very much.....Want to talk about it? Call me 925-672-1863

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

March 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Billd,

exactly how limited is your prospecting schedule? am under the impression you are not "into" prospecting, do you dream of finding gold? are these just daydreams, or are you willing to put in the work needed to have it be successful and rewarding? you've got to decide what the pro's and cons are to being a GPAA member, will you get more out if you put more in? the outings are nice, not so much for the gold, unless you get really lucky with your pick(s). the payoff for me has been the friends, comraderie, and espirit of fellow, like minded, folks. of course, i don't throw away the gold i get, but the value is in the former.

there are lots of other things to spend money on, figure out what'll have the best return for you, and use your money there.

hope this helps with your decision. approach it logically, without emotion, or, forget logic and go with your emotion, what makes you feel good.

and those are some of my thoughts.

another one, sign up for multiple years to reduce the per year cost, and get a new mining guide.

--

March 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

billd

I'll give the GPAA office a call tomorrow and see what they can do. If I can get them to give me the basic membership (without the Mining Guide and hat) I'll get it. Otherwise, I'll think about it a little more...

@Pucky...There support of Miners Rights is indeed a good reason to continue my membership. I do contribute to the PLP, both directly, and by way of the New 49er"s. Not much, but when I can...

@Sourdough...worng impression. I do prospect anywhere from 10 to 20 days a year (not a lot but all I can afford right now). My plans for this year include attending more EBGPAA Outings which (with the exception of Bear River, last year) I missed for the last couple of years.

It just seems that the GPAA has cut a lot of there activities without clear explaination.

And, I dont want another hat, snuffer bottle, stickers, Mining Guide...

Thanks to both of you for your input...

March 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

billd

I  just talked to the GPAA, and 1) they no longer offer a Basic Membership without the Mining Guide. and 2) there are no plans for any GPAA Outings this year.

March 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Billd,

and your decision is.....?

--

March 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Wow.... I'm glad I re-upped for 3 years last time around or I'd be wondering what to do myself. Selling the Outdoor Channel doesn't bother me much since Tom Massie purchased the GPAA and the LDMA from the Outdoor Channel. That being said, what concerns me is all the what seems liked dropped balls lately with the GPAA and LDMA that I'm hearing. I lost interest in the Gold Fever shows long ago because they rarely showed me anything of interest. I grew tired of the exploring underground mines or visiting historic silver mines in Colorado or Kia storming off after a long hike to some abandoned cabin. The Discovery Channel kicked ass with their Alaska gold shows. From the outside looking in, it sounds like things are in disarray and it's a wait and see how things turn out. I suspect Tom would want to keep things rolling "as is" with the two organizations but it remains unclear if that's the case. The statements being made to keep supporting the GPAA because they are major supporters of the PLP etc. and our rights to keep mining need to be proven. We can send our money straight to the PLP or WMA legal funds and help the cause. Sounds like Tom or the GPAA spokesperson should do some damage control as there are folks out there no longer seeing the value of joining the GPAA. I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus here but if and when it's time for me to renew, I hope there are answers to what's going on and what does the future hold. Just saying.........

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

March 12, 2013 at 1:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Chance

Billd, I am sort of on your side! I called the GPAA and they do not offer the basic membership like last year and the new cost is $69.95. Your right our club did not make any use of the GPAA claims here in California last year either. I have to keep my membership up to date sence I am a EBP board member and it's a requirement for me to have the membership to GPAA. Joe or Pucky, is there anyone you know at GPAA that can explain why there are no basic membership available this year? 

--

E.B.P Claims Committee Chair

Dig Deep! and Get "R" Done!!

March 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Getting help or an answer to any questions is not possible at the present time. I have tried. It seems the Dollar $$$$ is the only language they understand. That is my opinion as that is my expierience. As a long time member (Over 22 years) I have been told that I am slacking on support for the GPAA/LDMA . I am confused because I have, and continue to "Bust my ass" Working for the "Cause" .  The trouble we are having now is not my fault, Is it? Let's see what Joe has to say, as it seems he has all the answeres........

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

March 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

billd

At this point, I have not renewed my membership. Until I find a need to be a member, or, they make the Basic Membership available and put the Outings back on the calander, I'll save my money.

I hope to start making it to the EBGPAA Outings in April...hope to see you all then.

@Pucky...Don't let this get you down. You, and many others, have worked too hard making the GPAA the Best Place to start you Prospecting Adventure it is/was. I'm sure this is just a hiccup somewhere in the GPAA Orginazation. Someone there is sure to wakeup to what is going on, and the affect it's having on the membership, and set things straight. 

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

March 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Billd,

did the initial response to your post have any effect on your decision? did you get any help in making your deision?

or, was your decision solely based on the gpaa response?

thanks.

--

March 12, 2013 at 9:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

billd

It came down to GPAA response, and the fact that without a Basic Membership, everytime I renew in the future, I'll be getting another Mining guide. As you can tell, I really DON'T WANT to buy the Mining Guide.

The elemination of the Outings and the Motherload Expedition makes this whole thing look like it's a faultering business, without any solid leadership. Just my 2 cents...

My EBGPAA membership doesn't require a GPAA membership which will allow me to attend the Outings, and there i can make new friends, and experience the comraderie, and espirit of fellow, like minded, folks.

So, I think my limited finances are better spent with the EBGPAA at this time.

Thanks Sourdough...

March 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

I am afraid we will see more of these type of decisions. As a GPAA Member for over 20+ years, and a Paid in full LDMA Member, and a State Dirrector, This saddens me to no end...I am not giving up or giving in. But! At this time, and until the facts and direction we are headed in, is figured out and finalized, there is not much we can do with that. We can continue to build membership and friendships until then.  I am sure I'll learn more at the GPAA Summit the end of April. Will have to wait and see...

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

March 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Billd,

Thanks for your candid frankness. it is refreshing to read your rationale when there's so  much "noise" around.

--

March 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Did someone Fart?

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

March 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Pucky at March 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I am afraid we will see more of these type of decisions. As a GPAA Member for over 20+ years, and a Paid in full LDMA Member, and a State Dirrector, This saddens me to no end...I am not giving up or giving in. But! At this time, and until the facts and direction we are headed in, is figured out and finalized, there is not much we can do with that. We can continue to build membership and friendships until then.  I am sure I'll learn more at the GPAA Summit the end of April. Will have to wait and see...

Pucky,

Now that you have attended the Summit, is there anything more you learned at the gpaa summit and would care to share here?

thanks, sourdough joe 

--

May 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joe davis squabman

I was at the summit meeting. There is talk of a new t.v. show and a promise of outings to come back. They are asking for claims to be shared that GPAA would pay the annual fees. I asked but have not heard what changes have been made to protect the owners claim from being lost. GPAA lost a bunch of claims because someone wasn't able to keep up with their work load. At the summit it sounded like there are some new people.

May 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Squabman,

thanks for sharing what you learned.

when you find out about the claim owner's protection for not losing their claim please pass that on too. we're considering it as a possibility for our club and this might cinch the vote.  

later, sourdough joe

--

May 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.