Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Club Outings > May 2013 Club Outing

Sourdough Joe

hello all,

Some of you are GPAA members, with the new mining guide, i was wondering if there is a claim in the guide at which you'd like to have the May outing?

or, alternately, is there another location which you would prefer?

thanks in advance for your consideration. sourdough joe

--

March 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JonDavis

PLEASE SEE NEW THREAD ON THIS TOPIC UNDER THE GENERAL FORUM8)

I would love to be able to actually prospect and or find some color on a claim out of that book... and i dont even really care which one. Ive tried to find at least 3 different spots in the book, and either got lost, or "if" I found the spot, i was skunked. The latest one I tried was the claim thats close to I-Bar... we got way lost. 

March 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Back on topic. Locations for outings! The February outing to Mineral Bar was in my book successful can was started from a single member's input. Other's chipped in info and color was found. The staff is trying hard this year to mix it up by trying new places in concert with members inputs. Do you know somebody with private property that would let a group prospect?  Do you know any public access places that aren't that well known? Every member should consider themselves an assistant to the outings coordinator and help us find spots to gather as a club outing. Parking spaces, a staging area and a outhouse are certainly considerations when we have a group including families those simple items will allow more attendance. We're trying to take the outings up a natch this year and need your suggestions!

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

March 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

just a heads up regarding this, to be discussed and voted on at the next club mtg, 4 APR 2013.

i was looking at the gpaa mining guide to see if there were any claims which were relatively close, and might have decent access and parking. for your consideration, the following are possibilities: Just For The Money #1, pg 218 in the guide, Just for Fun #1, Cat Lady, and Deer Creek #5, pg 216 in the guide.

all other ideas are welcome.

thanks, sourdough joe

--

March 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

Where is the Dry Hill Placer Claim? Corey and I are hopefully going and I think Corey has talked his mom into coming with us for mothers day. Does anyone have satalite pics of the spot like last month? Anyone else planning on going with children? Thanks, Steve

May 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Dry Placer directions are now posted on the events page. It's just short of Buck Meadows on the way to the 154/155. It's dry so bring your own water for drinking and panning or sluicing.

--

Dale "Bear" Myer

May 3, 2013 at 7:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

I am finding it awful hard to understand why, at this time of year with perfect weather and such, That The EBP's do not have a few outings at the 154/155 claim. :)

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

May 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Thanks for the calls, but you should be posting your ideas here, so all members can chime in. The powers that be, cannot read minds, and I am guessing here, they would like to see your suggestions. Oh; Thanks for the well-wishes as I am feeling a bit better since my release....

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

May 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jim504

Pucky at May 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I am finding it awful hard to understand why, at this time of year with perfect weather and such, That The EBP's do not have a few outings at the 154/155 claim. :)

I agree,one of the best claims i have ever been to-tons of parking,perment out house,plenty of wood and GOOD GOLD to boot.

I think the water level might be a tad high now though and the road might need some filling still. for some :)

--

May 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

This year, the club has been discussing outings at the meetings, several spots are then on table and the menbership present at the meeting votes on their choice(s). We asked for input from the membership after getting unhappy camper feedback over 2012 outings and this year have explored some new ground so far (Mineral Bar and the confluence). Speaking of exploring new ground...... this coming weekend is our May outing at one of our new claims the Dry Hill Placer. June's outing will be on one of our other new claims and people wanting to make a long weekend can drive a few miles and camp at the 154/155. The July outing is a long weekend at the 154/155. Speaking as a non-board member and observer, the club leadership listened to feedback over last years outings and made some improvements this year again in my observation. New places, getting the dates and locations announced sooner with as good as possible maps and directions. If anyone disagrees then please send your feedback to any board member. Remember that for 20 bucks a year for a claims lease fee, you can visit any of our claims on your own anytime of the year including the 154/155. And as Jim mentioned, "the" mudhole on the way into the 154/155, although probably dry has been an obstacle for most. I don't have an update if it's been graded or not yet. I'm sure somebody can chime in if they know.

--

Dale "Bear" Myer

May 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

HurtHawk

Since it is raining up here as we speak, the 155/154 mudhole will be just that. I will try to check it out later in the week and report my findings.

Rick

May 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

HurtHawk at May 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Since it is raining up here as we speak, the 155/154 mudhole will be just that. I will try to check it out later in the week and report my findings.

Rick

HurtHawk, the outing is at Dry Hill Placer short of the 155 (I guess it's not dry today). It's a newly acquired claim. I guess drywashing will be out of the question even on Saturday.

May 7, 2013 at 2:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

It's just short of Buck Meadows (see events section for directions). Weather is warming as we head to the weekend and there's no mudhole to collect water there. My bet is you'll be ok to dry wash as the hillside will have absorbed the rain and dried out by the time we get there. But what do I know? I do electrical work.

--

Dale "Bear" Myer

May 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

I built the damn thing so It's coming with me anyway, but as a back up, I put together a recirc system that runs on 5 gallons of water (see pic). I'll have 15 gallons of water with me. Also, I went to Pioneer today and got me a MD20. I figured I was in the area so I spent some time at the confluence playing with it. I found a half dozen rocks that sounded off so I brought them home to crush. If I find anything in them I'll post a pic. I sluiced for awhile but just found a little fly poop.

--

I'm happiest when I hit rock bottom!!

May 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Steve; You gave me a chuckle; Thanks. The MD 20 was a wise purchase; Many uses for it. One thing....Please read the directions and practice with the adjustments. I have been offered to buy a few because they didn't work good/right, I made the preliminary adjustment and voila! They worked! Just so you know....:)

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

May 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

Pucky; I found that it's possible to make it too sensitive and just moving the probe or wiggling the cable makes it beep. If I adjusted it to just pick up the sample card speck of gold it worked just fine. I did notice that heavily oxidized iron ore on some of the quartz samples gave false positive signals but that's the kind of quartz I bring home to crush anyway. So far I've crushed about half of the quartz I brought home and nothing so far. I have found that by using the MD20 on what I crush I don't have to crush it all the way to powder. I can't wait to try finding pay layers in exposed river beds...hopefully Saturday.

--

May 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

OK.... I would like to know if I'll be able to get this rig up the trail to the ledge at dry hill. I know a few of you have been up there checking it out so I would like input please. I think I'm going to look like the traveling pots and pans man dragging this rig behind me but if I can keep it off my back I can handle a few chuckles from the guys.

--

May 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Is anyone camping out this weekend at the outing and if so where?

--

May 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Is there a reason why this Outing is not posted on Meetup? Space/parking limitations? The DGD's are also having a Outing the 11th....email notice went to 425 Prospectors reminding them of the activity...They get 50+ at their Outings.....More at their Meetings .......Also...I continue to get asked to post questions for "Shy Members" I am beginning to believe they are not shy, but scared/afraid to post here. I see no reason to be thinking that way. Is there any?  I hope not.....

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

May 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Chance

Joe is camping at the 155. Pucky I do not know why members are asking you to post their questions! I will be there with the canopy. There are two places to park at the claim. Everyone please look for the EBP outing signs.Steve you will be able to transport your equipment thru the claim area.

--

E.B.P Claims Committee Chair

Dig Deep! and Get "R" Done!!

May 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.