Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Possible location for outting

Eric
Site Owner

I was doing some research and came up with this place as a possible outting. I have not been to it, and as far as I can tell it would be the same distance as Bear River. This place is called Minneral Bar, just outside of Colfax.

Here is a link to a page that has a lot of info on the area: http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospecting_info/calif/Mineral_bar.htm. If anyone has any info on this place that would be GREAT...

Thanks again

Eric

--

JUST KEEP DIGGING

June 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Garyww

Mineral Bar can be very good or very bad. There is very limited parking and only 17 campsites. The banks are steep and rocky with few places clear enough for groups to set up. There is very little gravel for digging and the rangers who do patrol this spot heavily do not allow digging above the 'nominal' waterline and high-bankers and power sluices are specifically prohibited. Mostly you left to scraping out in the sand pockets between the boulders. There is some fair sized material if you find a good spot but that's hard to do. The conditions of the banks make the site potentially dangerous and I've taken two bad falls there and have seen others also take a ride down the boulders. It;s a good place for a two-person team but if you don't get there early all the available spaces along the river will already be taken. You have to pay to park $5 and $15 to camp. Most of the offsite parking is taken up by river rafters who use this as a staging area.

June 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kenny K

I agree with Garyww's assessment of Mineral Bar. I've been there twice during the middle of the week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays are good). $5.00 for day use parking. When the river is low enough to get to the bolders in the middle of the river you can find some good-sized flakes and pickers. I went once on a Saturday and it was packed. If you go, walk out onto the old bridge and you can look up and down the river to scope out some areas to try. Really ineresting bedrock formations for crevicing, but you may want to walk upstream to get away from the campsites. Those areas seemed really played-out. Oh, make sure you obey that last 10 mph sign just before you get there. During the summer those 17 campsites are full on weekends (first come basis only). We'd probably need a couple of people to go up on a Thursday to get campsites for a Saturday outing. Anyway, beautiful area with some really good gold if you can go during the week. May be problematic for a Saturday outing during the summer, though. I'm going to go up again after school starts up.

--

Kenny-If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly!                   

June 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

Thanks guys!!  Murderers Bar was suggested also; That is near there and the Ranger said it is a Dangerous place! We can't have a outing there (liability)

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

June 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ghostlygreen

I have been here 10yrs. ago . But it's a nice place. went there for the day. And there is also C40,C41,C42 gpaa claims all with in driving distance of each other. this is out of Briceburg on hiway 140. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folsom/mercedriverrec.html

June 26, 2009 at 11:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ghostlygreen

o sorry when i went there i only had a sluce . but i bleive you can run a dredge up to3or 4 in. but dont quote me on that. if tyou look at the site , there is bathroom , wheel chair actcess, camping ,and plenty of parking.

June 26, 2009 at 11:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Howdy,  I stopped at Mineral Bar the end of April.  There are maybe twenty or so parking spaces, plus a dozen camping spots.  Some folks parked their cars and trucks in the street so as not to have to pay the parking fee, $5 or 6 per day.  Talking with thw campground mgr, he said most of the easy access had little gold, better chances going upstream a ways, beyond the easy spots.  Hope this helps, Sourdough Joe

June 26, 2009 at 7:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.