Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Mining equipment and products > Sluice modifications

Steve

Soooo......I started thinking that if a piece of gold didn't hold in the top ribbed mat, why should I think it would stick in the middle or end Mat. 2/3 of my sluice is raised rib mat. I put a piece of flat expanded metal in the middle and a piece of raised expanded in the end in hopes of creating more low pressure zones throughout the sluice. Also, I made a flare extension to use when I don't have quite enough flow. Am I on the right track or do I have entirely too much time on my hands??? :/

--

I'm happiest when I hit rock bottom!!

June 5, 2013 at 12:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

June 5, 2013 at 1:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Chance

Nice work Steve.

--

E.B.P Claims Committee Chair

Dig Deep! and Get "R" Done!!

June 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

How does your stand work?  Is it able to hold it up with water and material in it?

--

Joel

June 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

-Ramos
Administrator

Steve,

I feel you are on the right track.  the designer of the GoldHog mats advovates for different "opportunities" for gold to get trapped, obviously using his mats.  optimizing the places for gold to get trapped is key and I think you've done a fine job with modifying the EZ-Sluice you have.    

--

-Ramos
Secretary, East Bay Prospectors

June 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

Joel, I still have to put a rock across it to hold it in place but the couple times I've used it it seems to work. I want to put some rubber inner tube in the spring clamp adjuster jaws because I had to readjust it a couple times last time I used it.

Gary/Ramos, Thanks for the positive comments. I'm still learning and I hoped I was helping improve capture not hurt it. I liked the way material flowed through it before and I hope I don't have problems with stuff backing up too much but I classify to 1/4 inch anyway so it shouldn't be that big a deal I would think.

--

June 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

Thanks Steve, I've been wanting to build a stand for my sluice and you've given me some ideas.

--

Joel

June 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

Joel, PVC is light so when you do a clean out put your rock on the stand or you'll wind up chasing it down stream like I did the first time I used it. ;)

--

June 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joel1316

Will do!  : )

--

Joel

June 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Hi Steve. Nice job on the modifications. 

In the traditional stream sluices with "inspection" mats, the gold isn’t expected to stay in the mat. As soon as you dump another scoop of material in the sluice, the “lights” speed down into the sluice creating turbulence that is bound to disturb the flakes in the inspection mat by pushing them sideways or carrying them into the sluice. You should however expect your riffles to catch the “heavies” (those flakes and black sand) and hang on to them. It’s all dependent on getting the optimum flow going through your sluice. You want to see the material dancing behind the riffles. Too little flow, the riffles load up. Too much flow, the riffles lose ability to catch heavies. 

I am just finishing up an overhaul of my Keene A52 sluice. For too long I trusted that it was a great design and working as it should. Yet why was the miner’s moss quickly loading up? Seeing all the different sluices now available, many have no moss at all, made me take a closer look at the A52. I have been using a second sluice that I made for higher flow rates using the Gold Hog mats and no miners moss. Back to the A52, I took a look at the miner’s moss zone. The moss was puffed up higher than the riffles. Instead of working riffles, mine were filled up by the moss. No wonder the moss never cleaned itself out. I replaced the moss with a stiffer type, put V-groove mat below and slid the small expanded metal to the front over the moss. Now the riffles are absolutely clear and can start trapping heavies while pushing the lights on through. The heavies that get caught behind the first riffles can drop into the moss and find their way down to the V-groove mat. As Ramos mentioned above, the gold likes to hide as deep as it can go. Giving it different surfaces to travel over, like your addition of expanded metal, is a good thing also mentioned above. 

There’s no single perfect sluice for every stream out there. All you can do is visually make sure your riffles are working right and offer the different types of trap surfaces as the material passes through. If you are test panning and find “the” spot, start shoveling material! Don’t worry about the inspection mat flakes moving. It’s more of a security blanket to let you know you’re still getting flakes and was never meant to trap gold all day until you clean out. I will try to get some pictures posted of my overhaul. How dare I modify the great A52 or rather, what took so long for me to fix a problem is the question in my mind as I kick myself. Good luck!

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

June 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

Dale, necessity is the mother of invention. Once a manufacturer builds something they aren't around to see if parts of it expand, contract or compress. It sounds like you put a good fix on your 52. I just came back in from my garage after looking at my riffles and moss and it looks ok. :) BTW, where did you find denser moss? I might look into replacing mine.

--

June 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Steve,

FYI I moved this thread into a new catagory for equipment discussions.  I'm working on my A52 post while the topic is still warm. If your riffles are clear and able to get a good vortex going then you may be just fine with your moss. I bought a 10" wide piece of GoldHog moss which like their mats comes 36" wide. Since I only needed a 12" length I have 24" by 10" left over. In my report you'll see the moss is a tad thicker and doesn't compress which caused me an unplanned issue. Anyway, I'll post it soon and if you want to switch to the thicker moss, I probably have more than enough to cover you so don't order any.

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

June 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

OOOOOOH!!! I like this new topic thread! I will Probably live here! Dale, I think thicker moss would be a problem with the EZ sluice. I was in Target the other day and saw a door mat that had a thin rubber backing and nylon loop weave I might play with. If I experiment with it I'll post pics here. :)

--

June 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.