Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Metal Detecting > East Bay Detecting Rules, etc.

Shojo510

Picked up a Garrett Gold Scorpion Stinger and an East Bay MD permit and was wondering if anyone can help to clarify the rules maybe give some ideas where there might be places to go and have some fun...

the rules I received with my permit say "no digging" only surface collecting, except for the beach.  And I can't tell if they are only suggesting it but they state hours for detecting from 8am-11am but they also mention when it's not "crowded" so I feel like this might be just a suggestion and as long as you don't tick anybody off you can go where it's not crowded??maybe...

So far what I have gathered is;

East Bay - beaches cool, parks surface no digging, limited hours

San Mateo - No detecting ?

San Francisco - No detecting at beaches, parks?

Santa Clara - Need permit, Surface detecting no digging

San Jose - Need permit, Surface detecting no digging

the surface detecting no digging seems to be the concensus everywhere...

trying to get some hours in with the machine so I can learn technique for proper use and the backyard is not so exciting...

was thinking of trying to get a relationship with the local park officials and see if they would relax on the no digging thing if they see that I won't destroy things...

suggestions? anyone had any luck with local parks and the digging dilema.

Thanks in advance.

June 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

who issued the East Bay MD permit? am not familiar with it.

metal detecting okay at Bear River County Park, just down river from Colfax.

--

June 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shojo510

East bay parks 20 bucks for 2 years.

http://www.ebparks.org/activities/permits

June 11, 2013 at 9:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jst1Dreamr

The most important thing to remember is never dig on the trails and always carry your laminated permit with you. The Martinez marina area is one of the places you can go and around Temescal in Oakland but Temescal has alot more restrictions. You should have recieved a letter with your permit which has three paragraphs that covers the rules. The restrictions make detecting kind of fruitless for anything of value but the rush is still great. Remember one "GOLDEN RULE" always tell everyone that all you have found is trash because they will try to take anything of value and say it is being turned over to police in case it gets claimed. I have never heard of anyone that turned anything over to them ever getting it back after the waiting period passes.

Happy Hunting

--

Randy

June 12, 2013 at 1:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jst1Dreamr

Golden gate park in SF is not a problem and alot of people still find some nice old silvers.

Here is a forum site for California detecting only.

http://forums.kinzlicoils.com/index/

There is alot of opinions fly around but still a good site. Just take everything anyone says about following rules in stride because most of it is all about personal interpritation.

--

Randy

June 12, 2013 at 1:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shojo510

Right On Randy!  The thought of valuables being handed back from OPD seems somewhat nieve thinking... I'm starting to get the jist of the hobbies rules...I did the 6am "non-crowded" time slot and had the beach to myself but got skunked...great way to pass the early morning I feel my right arm and sholder bulking up already...So does GG Park need a permit?

Happy Hunting to you as well.

-

John

June 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

I pass this on to you folks FYI   Please check out these web pages to help in the fight to save your Detecting Rights...It's a good one to bookmark and pass on...

http/www.mdhtalk.org/news/join-the-fight.htm 

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

July 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.