Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > Mining equipment and products > Blue Bowl????

Steve

I built a version of a blue bowl but the only thing on it that's blue is the valve handle. My delema....what to call it?? Since a blue bowls job is to tidy up the gold from the black sand the name suddenly came to me....here's my TIDY BOWL!!!! :lol:

--

I'm happiest when I hit rock bottom!!

June 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Just make sure there's not a little guy in a boat floating there befoire you turn it on! :lol:  (Showing our age if you remember those TV commercials)

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

June 18, 2013 at 2:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

That was a long time ago! Are you sure it was a boat.....I think it may have been a dredge. Puts a different spin on "nuggets and pickers" doesn't it!! Also, pay streaks!! :o

--

June 18, 2013 at 2:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

OMG!! I just realized I'll be telling members that I'll be looking for pay streaks in my Tidy Bowl when I get home!!!!! :lol:

--

June 18, 2013 at 2:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Chance

Better to be a pay streak than a brown streak!!LoL

--

E.B.P Claims Committee Chair

Dig Deep! and Get "R" Done!!

June 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sourdough Joe

Steve,

looks like you are using a ball valve. suggest you get a gate valve, and a six inch nipple to attach it to your bowl. this will provide laminar flow of the water going into the bowl, vice turbulent flow, giving you better flow control and less loss of fine gold.

--

June 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

Sourdough Joe at June 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Steve,

looks like you are using a ball valve. suggest you get a gate valve, and a six inch nipple to attach it to your bowl. this will provide laminar flow of the water going into the bowl, vice turbulent flow, giving you better flow control and less loss of fine gold.

Joe,

I think your right about the flow. I noticed It has a tendency to drift up or down after slight adjustments. I guess I'll be picking up a new gate valve and nipple before I use it again.

Steve

--

June 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Steve,

Blue Bowls frequently require fine adjustments of the flow to keep the water where recommended for the material mesh size you are tidying up. It's typical to have to reduce flow after much of the lighter material has exited. What I believe Joe is stating is this readjustment process will be less frequent and your gold recovery better if the water stream enters the bowl smoothly rather than jacked up by having to go around the ball valve rather than continuing straight through the gate valve. Just saying if you change the valve, get ready to still keep an eye on the water height in the bowl.

Do I assume you didn't understand 100%? No. I mean no disrespect with my addition comments and they were meant for all to see. And, most important of all, since I was talking about wanting laminar flow through my remodeled A52, I stopped and went to look at my own blue bowl. Doh! BALL VALVE!  So, Thank you Joe for the tip on the gate valve vs. the ball valve! Off the Ace Hardware I go as I have screened all my cons from the outing and was thinking of blue bowling them today.

Humbly,

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

June 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.