Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > GPAA Mining Guide change suggestions

Pucky

Hello folks;

I have been asked by  Louis Escarcega, Chapters Administrator, Gold Prospectors Association of America, to get your input for the next printing of the GPAA’s Mining Guide that will be available June of 2014. This is open to all State Directors to gather information regarding your state and any ideas you may have regarding what we can add to the Mining Guide to improve its use by GPAA/LDMA members that prospect in your state.So, I am asking you, the users of the Guide, for your input. You may post your comments here, or you may PM me. The confrence call is scheduled for this Friday, June June 21st, 2013. And is for State Directors only. There is, however, a way for me to email your comments/suggestions after that date. Thanks for your help to make the next Guide the best one yet! 

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

June 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

You ask users of the guide for inputs. I will go over the mining guide and make an effort to give any inputs worthy of consideration even though I don't use it. That being said, I really believe the GPAA could increase its membership by offering a no mining guide option. Since we have our own claims, I have yet to use the mining guide to look for places to go. I know the GPAA is a for profit company and selling ad space is important but so is strength in numbers. If they send $$ to support PLP and WMA legal funds, GPAA may want to rethink a no mining guide membership to increase membership and the amount they can send to the legal fund(s). Access issues will end up in court no matter how many letters we write to our reps. GPAA would be wise to get in front of the parade by making this membership option available. Since I don't use the mining guide, knowng or at least assuming they chip in to the legal funds is about the only benefit I see I get from being a GPAA member. I don't need hats and bumper stickers either. Save the spending on that and send it to the legal fund(s).

To all EBP/GPAA members: Pucky has heard the no mining guide membership option subject plenty of times and I don't want to threadjack this post. Please post mining guide inputs that Pucky can take back and consider my mention of the "no guide membership option" enough said.

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

June 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

As promised, I dusted off the claims guide and gave it a look over with limited time. Compared to the previous guide, the latest is much improved. The color topos have a better quality than some of the old black and white in the previous guide. It's helpful that they used the more detailed (less "minutes" maps) in most cases. The previous had CA maps starting on page 87 but had no page numbers.

Now the new guide..... 28 pages until I can find the state index? Seriously? We're paying for membership which includes the guide and we get hammered by enough ads in the magazines and newspaper. At least this guide has beautiful page numbers.

Confusion factor example..... Joe suggested some GPAA claims to try for upcoming outings including  Just for Fun, Cat Lady and Deer Creek 5. There's a big map showing how to get there but the claims aren't labeled which is which. Cat Lady has 2 GPS points both listed as SE corner. I had to compare to the old guide to figure out which claim was CL and DC5. I'm sure this is just a proof reading issue. Perhaps they should test the next guide with proofreaders from different states to catch errors or reword anything confusing.

And finally.... there are tons of free GPS apps out there for smart phones and GPS units. If I ever visit one of these sites, I want to be sure I'm on the site not somebody else's claim. It shouldn't be all that hard to put these claims on an app map. That would be sweet.

The guide overall is a great improvement over the previous and I submit these comments as examples for making it better, not as complaints. (Well except the 25 pages of ads up front.)

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

June 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

I will put these idea and the others I got down in order for the meeting tomorrow. Thanks for the replies! I am suprised at the many responses! And good ones too!! :)

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

June 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

I was not able to join in the weinair. I put the email suggestions, and the others that I gathered, and sent them to the Office for consideration. Thanks for the input. ;)

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

July 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.