Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > congressman McClintock meeting re: yellow legged frogs

Mike

Hi people,

It's been a long time since I posted on here but I found this tonight while looking for something else. It doesn't affect us directly (yet) but I thought I would post it.

Congressional Hearing to be held in Sonora

There will be a Congressional Hearing led by Congressman McClintock in Sonora at the Mother Lode Fairgrounds, 2:00 PM, August 6. US Fish and Wildlife Service representatives will present their position regarding the prospective listing of the Yellow-legged Frog and Yosemite Toad as “endangered” and “threatened” respectively. This will be followed by five witnesses giving testimony to dispute human activity as a cause of species decline, impact to life and livelihood of people were these species to be listed, effects of past listings to people and to the health of our public lands and to the habitat of the species that USFWS/US Forest Service are allegedly trying to protect. Witnesses will give five-minute statements and the Congressman will question USFWS and witnesses. This important meeting is open to the public.

Those of us old enought to remember the spotted owl debacle and what it did to communities like Sonora and Tuolumne county might see a similar train wreck just around the bend.

--

Smith & Wesson - The ultimate point and click interface

July 23, 2013 at 12:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

I think it does affect us since we have claims in the frog territory. My understanding is the frog population decline has been studied to death. The two leading causes of frog demise is an African frog virus and planted trout eating the frogs neither of which will stop if all human activities are stopped. If anybody reading this gets to be a speaker, tell them to up the trout limit and build a frog hatchery.

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

July 23, 2013 at 2:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RobynM

Man! Another roadblock coming for miners? :(

--

" :)"

July 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jere-Miner

my thought is if their habitat stretches most of the sierra nevadas  how are they endangered?

--

J.Osgood

EBP

"Live Long and Prospect!"

July 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

They're endangered by all us evil humans that wish to be outdoors. But you bring up a great point.

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

July 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.