Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Rim Fire near buck meadows.

Jkmalaska

Heads up if you are headed for the claim this week.  This came from http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

Hope they get this one out soon.

Closure: Highway 120 has been closed from four miles east of Buck Meadows to four miles west of the Ranger Station.

The Rim Fire has crossed Hwy. 120 and is burning up the Pilot Ridge area southeast of Buck Meadows. The fire has spotted over at Spinning Wheel and the Incident Command Post at Drew Meadow on Cherry (oil) Lake Road is downsizing staff there and placing a dozer ring around the camp.

Evacuation in the the Buck Meadows area and organization camps near Hwy 120 are being conducted by Tuolumne and Mariposa County OES and Sheriff's Departments. Some structures have been lost; however, Cal Fire is working very hard to protect the remaining structures in the area. Hwy 120 is closed from Smith Station to the west and four miles east of Buck Meadows. No west bound traffic is being allowed out of Yosemite National Park.

The north end of the fire has crossed the Clavey River and is burning in remote and steep terrain. The north end is not threatening any structures at this time.

Direct line suppression efforts are impeded by difficult access and steep inaccessible terrain. A combination of direct and indirect attack will be uses on this incident. Active fire behavior today raises safety concerns for crews adjacent to the fire’s edge. Smoke exposure within the deep drainage of the Clavey River will be an issue for fire crews as well.

There is a red flag warning for lightning today through Wednesday.

Currently assigned to the fire are 5 type1 crews, 1 type2 crew, 4 helicopters, 2 engines, 1 dozers, 166 personnel and a number of fixed wing aircraft spotting and dropping retardant.

Dozers are working on Forest Road 1N01 for contingency and safety zones. The approved designate Helispot is located at 3300 feet at the top of Jawbone Ridge. Values at risk include the Wild and Scenic Tuolumne River.

August 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RobynM

Aw this is bad and I haven't had a chance to see the new claim yet :(  It may all be cinders if things get out of hand, 155 and 154 too.

--

" :)"

August 20, 2013 at 7:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gold Hunter Bob

Fire map shows Tuolumne Bend has burned! We were just there Fri. Fire heading towards Rainbow Pool, Sweetwater, Spinning Wheel and 154,155 claims. Hope they can stop it soon.

--

Hunting down that shiny gold!

August 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gold Hunter Bob

If I'm reading this right, it doesn't look good.

http://wildfiremaps.com

--

August 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Attached is a current map of the Rim Fire using the link I provided last year under FAQ and other stuff. This is an overlay used in conjunction with Google Earth. I will add instructions how to get it working undet the FAQ section because it takes a few steps. Easy if you know where to walk. The image attached shows by color the activity so you can "try" to predict its path. As of this shot, the TB claim has not burned..... but it's to close for comfort. 154/155 are further out of the way. The only concern are the 4-5 RED boxes (new detections) below Buck Meadows so there may have been some lightning strikes last night.

--

Dale "Bear" Myer
Communications Director and Website Admin
God Bless the late 155 Outhouse!

August 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gold Hunter Bob

I like your map better. Can't find the link. My understanding is 0 containment at this time. Just a little wind will push it east, hope not.

--

August 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RobynM

KPCC says 11,00 acres gone, fire is on both sides of 120, 0 percent containment. It looks like Tuolumne Bend is gone from their map. it's been burning since the 17th, 155/154 look bad if the fire moves east. Bulldozers were brought in to dig fire breaks around Spinning Wheel. :(

--

August 20, 2013 at 9:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RobynM

Very nice video from a tanker plane on the fire, could that be Toulumne Bend in the Video?  http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/08/20/38805/rim-fire-11-000-acres-burned-near-yosemite-so-far/

--

August 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RobynM

San Jose Camp was evacuated, here is a site with more up to date info. http://projects.scpr.org/firetracker/rim-fire/

--

August 20, 2013 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jkmalaska

We  have a cabin in the area along with 2100 homes in the groveland area. They still do not have cause yet. http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/  ; has updates, A pdf of the fire area as well as a google earth map showing the current fire line. It looks like they have a fire camp near spinning wheel.  It is going to be sad driving through that area for a while. We had a small fire several years ago on a ridge coming down to new priest grade.  The vegitation has come back but you can still see the diamond shaped fireline they dug around it.

August 20, 2013 at 10:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pucky

I read two BowHunters caused it....MyMotherlode.com

--

P  Pu  Puc  Pucky!

August 21, 2013 at 1:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Using the Google Earth overlays provided by theForest Serice website, here's this evenings update. Big difference from the one this morning. I'll post the image here and also a link so you can bring up a larger size of the same picture. Sadly, Tuolumne Bend is now Red as is Rio Fines. The red squares appear to be traveling almost 360 degrees which suppors the 0% containment news. When I used this overlay in the past, all the boxes were connected showing a better path of the fire. In this case we see gaps as mentioned in this morning's post. I don't know what that means other than the fire is jumping via wind or new lightning hits. Not good.

Large Picture View

--

Dale "Bear" Myer

August 21, 2013 at 1:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve

If they burn, how long before we can get back in??

August 21, 2013 at 2:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RobynM

if the area burns, it will be ugly, ash, dust, dead critters. Rain will turn the burned areas into mud mud mud.

--

August 21, 2013 at 3:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RobynM

Here is the link to the Calfire blog: http://calfire.blogspot.com/2013/08/rim-fire-ca-stf-2857-tuolumne-county.html

--

August 21, 2013 at 3:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RobynM

I've been thinking about your question Steve.  Do you all think that the Forestry Service will close public access and access to the club claims during a period of regrowth for the burned areas?

--

August 21, 2013 at 3:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

-Ramos
Administrator

I don't think so Robyn.... our Smokin Chips EBP claim on the Feather was filed during the Chips fire last year.   We had an outing there in Oct/Nov if I recall.  They didn't close the roads, however I was sent a notice from the forrest service to be cautious of dead and falling limbs as a result of the fire.  Lumsden camp will probably be closed for repairs, but I would doubt they would close the forrest road.  It is the main access down into that canyon. 

As far as how long will it take before we can get back in there?  Hard to say as of yesterday there was 0% containment.   Assuming the winds/lightning hazards die down in the next day or so, I would suspect containment by early next week.  No imperical evidence or proof, just my opinion.  

Given that, I presume a week to two weeks for fire crew supression of hot-spots, demo, and maintenance on what they can.   All-in-all, I would expect 4 weeks total before we can get down there... but that again is just an opinion.

--

-Ramos
Secretary, East Bay Prospectors

August 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DaleMyer
Administrator

Always looking at the bright side, if the fire camp is set up near Spinning Wheel, I bet the famous "low spot" in the road has been smoothed out. Also the fire seems to be heading in 3 directions, all away from Spinning Wheel (154/155) I'll have a link up in a minute where you can scroll through the fire maps I'm printing and labeling to better see the movement. You'll undersand my earlier comment about the gaps in the squares may   have been caused by lightning. With the squares more connected, it's easier to visualize progress.

Rim Fire Progress link as of 8/21/13 0900 

--

Dale "Bear" Myer

August 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

-Ramos
Administrator

Yah, looks like 154/155 are okay and too close for comfort on Rio Fines and Dry Hill.  Tuolumne Bend, well that appears to be a different story.

Interesting video here:

http://youtu.be/Rn29zSPVau4

@ around 55sec at the front of the nose is Dry Hill

--

-Ramos
Secretary, East Bay Prospectors

August 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gold Hunter Bob

This is pretty sad. Not only for the people who have and may loose there homes, the beautiful area turned to ash and burned out trees. We have already lost two very nice claims to fire. Sure, we can go in and still prospect, but the beauty that surrounds us while we dig is lost. The last fire in that area years ago killed many firefighters and the area still bears the scars.

I know it is still early, but maybe us prospectors should help in some type of clean-up or re-planting. Since we are claim owners. Just throwing that out there for any thought.

--

August 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.